The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan Terms

I'm about to start a full-time research-based MSc and my university has listed the course as 2-years, when it is actually one year. After much discussion with the university, their argument is that most students fail to complete within one year.

My argument to the university has been that £5000 a year for two years is unsuitable as the first year will be where the majority of financial burden lies, then in second year I'd get another £5000 just for a few weeks or months of extension.*

I've been discussing this with my university and they have conceded that I can apply for a one-year loan (i.e. the full £10,000 in one year) but they warn that if/when I do not complete in one year, I will be breaching the conditions of my loan and need to make immediate repayments (they're vague about how much but it is implied it would be the whole loan).*

I simply don't believe that failure to complete in one year will lead to such serious financial consequences. I'm absolutely prepared to live 'out of pocket' for any extra time I require past one year, but my university is almost threateningly suggesting that my repayment terms will drastically change if I'm still studying after one year.

Can you offer any clarification on this? I've been in contact with SFE/SLC already and I've been reassured that what the university is saying is untrue, but I'd like some concrete information on exactly what happens if I continue studying after one year - so far I've just been passed around in circles by representatives.

Thanks.*
HI

Can you please confirm what course you will be studying and at what university, this will allow us to check our course database. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending