The Student Room Group

How likely is it that you won't get into medicine with top grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
I do not believe that almost 2 in 3 applicants apply without at least AAA at AS. I do not have any definitive data to back that up, but I do firmly believe you are wrong on this.

Anecdotally, I had a 775 UKCAT and AAAAA at AS, and got rejected from all 3 of the UKCAT unis I applied to. 'Well there must have been something else wrong with your application' - well yes clearly, but I didn't know what it was at the time. How do you know that's not going to be you?

And as to just assuming you will get a high UKCAT: I can only wish you luck.

How long did you study to get that UCKCAT score?

Anecdotally, I had a 775 UKCAT and AAAAA at AS, and got rejected from all 3 of the UKCAT unis I applied to.

Did you get rejected before or after interview?
Original post by ASTK98
How long did you study to get that UCKCAT score?

I don't know. Not very long tbh.

Original post by ASTK98
Did you get rejected before or after interview?

Before x2, after x1.

Not that this should make a difference to you. Assuming you're just going to smash the interview is even less valid than assuming you're just going to smash the UKCAT!
(edited 7 years ago)

Before x2, after x1.

Not that this should make a difference to you. Assuming you're just going to smash the interview is even less valid than assuming you're just going to smash the UKCAT!

I see. Cheers for the advice, we may not have agreed on everything but still some useful insight.
Original post by ASTK98
I'm in a bit of a tough place at the moment. I've decided to wait for my results and then if they're good enough (AAA+), I'll take a year out and apply for medicine. But people have been telling me that there's a high chance I would get 4 rejections if I applied in my gap year, even if I got something like A*AA. Is this true, or is it nonsense? Surely if other parts of my application are good (which I will make sure they are), and my grades are good, I won't be rejected by 4 different Unis?

There's a high chance a guy with A*A*A*A* will get rejected by all four. Just apply smart to where your application suits the most and this won't be much of a factor tbh. No it's not true, My friend got into King's with A*AA predicted grades through a good interview, PS and UKCAT score to back him up. So it's really down to how your application is overall.
Reply 25
Original post by ASTK98
I'm in a bit of a tough place at the moment. I've decided to wait for my results and then if they're good enough (AAA+), I'll take a year out and apply for medicine. But people have been telling me that there's a high chance I would get 4 rejections if I applied in my gap year, even if I got something like A*AA. Is this true, or is it nonsense? Surely if other parts of my application are good (which I will make sure they are), and my grades are good, I won't be rejected by 4 different Unis?

If it's worth anything I know someone who got 5 rejections first time round, re-applied with A*AA and got 2 or 3 medicine offers.
If you want any hope, I got ABC in my a levels, retook this year and applied and got 2 offers for medicine (first time applying).

So grades really aren't everything.

Before x2, after x1.

Why did the first two reject you???
If you get the required grades (AAA), and your UKCAT/BMAT etc is good enough to get interviews, then I don't see why you would be rejected just because you took a gap year.

But yes some medical schools would like to see that you built on your work experience during the gap year.

If you mean that you want to resit your A levels, then off the top off my head I am sure the majority of medical schools won't accept any resits. There might be a few, it's just a matter of doing your research.

As long as you get the required grades in your first attempt, you won't be disadvantaged if you took a gap year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UnknownAnon
If you want any hope, I got ABC in my a levels, retook this year and applied and got 2 offers for medicine (first time applying).

So grades really aren't everything.

You need to meet the grade requirements of AAA or 2.1 for grads for any medical school to even consider your application.

So while grades are only the basic requirements, and Unis then look for other factors like UKCAT to differentiate, not meeting the grade requirements leaves you with an automatic rejection. So grades are important for your application to be even considered.
Original post by ASTK98
People have been telling me that there's a high chance I would get 4 rejections if I applied in my gap year, even if I got something like A*AA. Is this true, or is it nonsense?

yes - if you don't cover the areas as well e.g. experience, PS, interview skills, applying to your strengths

Original post by ASTK98

Surely if other parts of my application are good (which I will make sure they are), and my grades are good, I won't be rejected by 4 different Unis?

see above - Consider that on the paperwork, you have to be as perfect looking as you can.
Original post by manlike99
Why did the first two reject you???

I don't know for sure as I got into my first choice and never sought feedback, but in hindsight my application was very poorly informed (no one from my school had ever got into medicine before), with a PS that probably focused on the wrong things and poor tactical choices in terms of applying to strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending