The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Muttley79
How o you know? Are you teaching the new A levels?

I've looked at the syllabuses, there is no more content than previously. Not being modular isn't an issue for a course with so little content.
Original post by ellis27day
My first two a levels I have chosen are Biology and Chemistry because those are required by a lot of universities to get into and I enjoy bio. For my third choice I don't know whether to to physics (which I am better at) or maths.

All advise would be really helpful!!!!

It doesn't matter too much but physics triumphs maths for medicine.
Original post by Muttley79

Perhaps you are unaware that F1 recruits more engineering graduates from Brookes than any other universit

Wow that's incredible.

I wish I'd applied there instead of Oxford uni.
Original post by alow
You have no experience with applying to medicine or any other science course. You have no idea what it takes to get a place on a competitive course.

Maths A Level is probably the easiest A Level to self teach and anyone capable of doing medicine would easily be able to self teach to an A grade.

There is absolutely no way having an extra A Level is not worth the small time investment, half an hour a day is more than enough to self teach.

Yes, you are right I have no direct experience in applying for Medicine but I know people and friends who have told me what it takes and what they did. Not having direct experience in something doesn't make someone's opinion in-valid.

I think you're missing the point in what I said. I'm not saying it isn't worth it. However it isn't worth the extra time. It is NOT a requirement to do a 4th subject. It will be better to get AAA rather than ABBB and so forth. You cannot say it could take half an hour a day to self teach. To you maybe, but you cannot speak on behalf of everyone else or OP.

Since ya'll are so hellbent in Oxbridge unis or "top unis", even Oxford does not require students to have 4 A-levels. So I don't know who's been feeding you nonsense about you have to take 4 A-levels, but you do not.

Their standard A-level offer is as follows:
Grades A*AA at A-Level, including Grade A in Chemistry and Grade A from Biology, Physics or Mathematics.No specification of the subject in which the A* is to be achieved should be made.For an applicant offering four subjects, the third subject of the offer should not be specified.4 A grade offers should not be made.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/requirements

I rest my case.

NB: Oxbridge is used as an indication to A-levels, not a representation of all UK universities.
Reply 24
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yes, you are right I have no direct experience in applying for Medicine but I know people and friends who have told me what it takes and what they did. Not having direct experience in something doesn't make someone's opinion in-valid.

I think you're missing the point in what I said. I'm not saying it isn't worth it. However it isn't worth the extra time. It is NOT a requirement to do a 4th subject. It will be better to get AAA rather than ABBB and so forth. You cannot say it could take half an hour a day to self teach. To you maybe, but you cannot speak on behalf of everyone else or OP.

Since ya'll are so hellbent in Oxbridge unis or "top unis", even Oxford does not require students to have 4 A-levels. So I don't know who's been feeding you nonsense about you have to take 4 A-levels, but you do not.

Their standard A-level offer is as follows:
Grades A*AA at A-Level, including Grade A in Chemistry and Grade A from Biology, Physics or Mathematics.No specification of the subject in which the A* is to be achieved should be made.For an applicant offering four subjects, the third subject of the offer should not be specified.4 A grade offers should not be made.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/requirements

I rest my case.

NB: Oxbridge is used as an indication to A-levels, not a representation of all UK universities.

Anyone with the ability and perseverance to study medicine will find 4 A Levels a breeze, if they don't they've chosen the wrong degree to apply for.

I think you'll find there is a large discrepancy between what the standard offer is and what people actually get. For instance: NatSci at Cambridge had an A*AA standard offer for years, but the average number of A*s for people getting places was closer to 3 (along with another A). When the standard offer was upped to A*A*A nothing whatsoever changed, the standard offer just gave a more realistic view of what is expected.
Original post by anonwinner
"3 A-levels is the minimum"

Yes OP, just do the absolute minimum! That will get you a place at a good uni!

3 a levels will get you a place at a good uni though

Latest

Trending

Trending