Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Please Help!! Glasgow vs Sheffield

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

Hey everyone

So I got unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Sheffield this year and I can't decide which to go! I'm an international student so I'm not really familiar with universities in the UK. Please give me some advice.
    I'm studying psychology and I know that Glasgow has a higher ranking in psychology. But I have also heard that Sheffield got a better reputation.
    Some also say that Sheffield got a higher student satisfaction rate and students there are happier.
    These days I've got so much opinion from my cousins and friends and I'm so confused. One of my cousins even strongly discourage me to go to Glasgow because she stressed that Glasgow is a really dangerous city famous for drugs and gangs with a high crime rate, is that true? Also some also concern that the terrible freezing weather and the fact that it gets dark pretty early will effect students' mood and emotions. It just sounds so horrifying, is that also true? I think the uni is really really beautiful and reading comments here tells me that students enjoy studying there... So I'm so confused.

And for Sheffield, I think the campus is also very nice ,looks bigger and more equipped(Don't know if it's the truth tho) Watching the videos on Youtube also makes it seems like the campus is super fun and vibrant. Yet, I guess my concern is its psychology ranking is way lower than Glasgow? And I've also heard that Glasgow s harder to get in...

So... I got sooo much opinion on the two uni these days and I'm head aching about which to choose. Again I'm not from the UK so I don't know which sounds better to ppl as well. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me some downsides of studying in the 2 uni so that I know what to expect. Please please help. Thank you so much

So from the Sheffield perspective I'd say it's more of an international university than Glasgow, it's very multicultural and there are a lot of opportunities to work/study/do research abroad, in fact more opportunities to do those kind of things in general, especially in psychology where people seem to get quite involved. Their international reputations are about the same with Sheffield having the edge in some areas of the world, and that's what matters more if you're an international student than the UK based rankings. That said where Sheffield loses out in the UK based rankings compared to Glasgow is student satisfaction and graduate prospects which are the things which matter most but also the things that are complicated to comment on. As an international student your graduate prospects will be different compared to the entire cohort and the accuracy of student satisfaction measures is debatable as they can be skewed by a bad year and they're usually focused on just the course instead of also including the rest of the university environment.

I've also tagged someone who can talk about Glasgow a bit

(Original post by nathui)
    Hey everyone

So I got unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Sheffield this year and I can't decide which to go! I'm an international student so I'm not really familiar with universities in the UK. Please give me some advice.

Thanks Helloworld_95 for this.

Probably the most important factor for choosing a university is going where you think you'll be happiest. Both universities have great reputations so neither will really be worse than the other. Your experiences and opportunities you take through university are what make you a good candidate for jobs/further study - it's not just the institution.

Glasgow University has a huge international student population, around 30% of all students are international, and the international reputation is pretty high. We also have great study abroad programs - particularly for psychology students - and the psychology department as a whole is generally very well regarded.

As for the city, the university is in the West End of Glasgow which is considered the nicest area. There's a lot of really nice parts and it has a pretty unique and cool culture. As for violence/crime, you'll find this in most cities. I've personally not had much experience of this, but as long as you're sensible it wouldn't be an issue. Glasgow has a very vibrant night life which may contribute to this.

The weather... well, it's perhaps not as ideal as other places. Through winter it can get very cold, but often other countries, e.g. Germany/Switzerland, can get much colder. I'm from Scotland so the weather doesn't really affect me, if you're from a warmer climate then the weather can be a bit of a shock.

I personally love Glasgow and can certainly give you more details on the place, so just let me know if you have any other questions.

Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.