The Student Room Group

A levels private Vs A Levels at home

hi guys, am 31 and trying to get back into studies by starting A levels. I am planning to apply for medicine entry 2017. I have a few questions and all answers will be welcomed.
1. Do the universities differentiate between the students who do A levels at college and those who study at home and sit the exam privately ? or are they equal regardless of their form of study.

2. I plan to study 4 A levels subjects within 1 one year and sit the exam privately. I plan to self-study by studying 6-8 hr/day for 6 days a week. Is this doable ?
I have no idea of the hours required per subject per week. So please any assistance regarding this will be appreciated.

3.what percentage do the practicals make of the total marks ? eg biology, chemistry

thanks once again,
Original post by student3131
hi guys, am 31 and trying to get back into studies by starting A levels. I am planning to apply for medicine entry 2017. I have a few questions and all answers will be welcomed.
1. Do the universities differentiate between the students who do A levels at college and those who study at home and sit the exam privately ? or are they equal regardless of their form of study.

2. I plan to study 4 A levels subjects within 1 one year and sit the exam privately. I plan to self-study by studying 6-8 hr/day for 6 days a week. Is this doable ?
I have no idea of the hours required per subject per week. So please any assistance regarding this will be appreciated.

3.what percentage do the practicals make of the total marks ? eg biology, chemistry

thanks once again,

1. I don't think universities differentiate between college and private though it would be mentioned on you application and eve your personal statement. From what I know I don't think it would have much an of an impact on the decision although they will consider your age and any past academics.

2. I'm going to sound really negative but this is only from my POV- As someone who's just completed A2 ( And was not able to apply to Medicine this year) I personally don't think it is possible to self-teach yourself the content to a good enough level to achieve the grades needed to apply to Medicine- 4 subjects is pushing it even for the brightest 17/18 y/o to do in 2 years so idk. It's worth a try I guess.

3. Depends on the specification for the exam boards but most of them have changed this year to not include any practical exams- again you'd need to check the specific one you're doing.

Hope this helped! GOOD LUCK :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest