The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Coming to Imperial!

Hi

I have a few questions about coming to Imperial and how to prepare! I would appreciate answers from current students at Imperial as they have already gone through this stage.

1. When I recieve my accomodation sometime in September, will I also get information regarding moving in and what to bring etc?

2. If the answer is no above, should I bring items such as: pillow, bed sheets, kitchen stuff etc (anything else)? Or should I purchase these items in London?

3. When I arrive in London October 2nd, how will the moving in phase work? Should I bring one of my parents to help me settle in or should I come alone? What state is my room likely to be in? I'll most likely want to do a quick clean before I unpack, right?

If I have forgotten anything else regarding coming to Imperial and moving in to my room please let me know!

Cheers! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pushupbra
Hi

I have a few questions about coming to Imperial and how to prepare! I would appreciate answers from current students at Imperial as they have already gone through this stage.

1. When I recieve my accomodation sometime in September, will I also get information regarding moving in and what to bring etc?

2. If the answer is no above, should I bring items such as: pillow, bed sheets, kitchen stuff etc (anything else)? Or should I purchase these items in London?

3. When I arrive in London October 2nd, how will the moving in phase work? Should I bring one of my parents to help me settle in or should I come alone? What state is my room likely to be in? I'll most likely want to do a quick clean before I unpack, right?

If I have forgotten anything else regarding coming to Imperial and moving in to my room please let me know!

Cheers! :smile:

the imperial board is a bit slow normally, and although i cant offer much extra help as i am also going (hopefully) in october, do a search for Bhaal85's thread in general chat (i think) and that just gives general tips on what to do, if you still need specific help just post something within that forum, as you would probably get a reply much much quicker.

what course you gonna be doing btw???
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2

Yes, when you get you allocated hall, you'll also be told the times, day, where to park etc...

You'll probably have to bring sheets and stuff, but halls do let you buy stuff from them so if you need to save space then you can buy it there. Normally things like pillows are already there. As for kitchen stuff, they have kettles, toasters etc, but you'll need cutlery, dishes etc... I wouldn't bother bringing electrical equipment for the kitchen, but bring everything else.

I'd bring your parents! Though parking and stuff can be time restrictive, I'm sure they'd wanna see where you're gonna be living, plus they can help you unpack etc... so you have more time to meet others, have a rest etc...

Hope u have fun at Imperial :smile:!
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies! KerChing I've applied to Chemical Engineering if all goes well! :smile:

pkonline: Thanks for your advice! I have a few more questions if you don't mind? Regarding the bed sheets, what size are the beds? Will I need to bring a duvet? Also are the rooms cleaned or do you do your own cleaning?

Cheers

P.S. Do all the halls have internet access and if so is it broadband?
Reply 4
pushupbra
Regarding the bed sheets, what size are the beds? Will I need to bring a duvet? Also are the rooms cleaned or do you do your own cleaning? P.S. Do all the halls have internet access and if so is it broadband?

Hiya! I think most are standard single beds, you'll have to bring a pillow, duvet and sheets/covers etc. Rooms are cleaned every week by the cleaners and kitchens are cleaned every morning (don't leave your stuff out cos it'll get chucked :biggrin:). Nearly all rooms are connected to the College network which is very fast, I think there may be one or two halls that don't but have computer rooms.

:smile:
Reply 5
Thanks again pkonline! The moving in date is the October 2nd which is a Saturday! Do the classes start on the Monday Oct 4th or is the first week a "soft week"? What is it like from first day? Also do most students go home during Christmas, Easter and Summer or do some stay in their halls? What do you do with all your belongings during these periods if you have to vacate your room? Also are you allowed to have people sleep over?

When you address your teachers and staff at Imperial, do you address them by their last name, i.e. Mr Smith, Miss Wilsson or David and Janet? Is the atmosphere during classes strict or is it moderately relaxed?

Cheers
Sorry for all the questions at once but I just want to get an overview of how my life will change.
Reply 6
Don't worry, you won't be alone - every1 will have the same worries, concerns etc... :smile:!

You'll have a Freshers "Week" but you'll have to attend lectures which won't be actual teaching but things like what the course will be like etc... - though this depends on what course ur doing. For medics, we had our own Fresher's events combined with lectures and pretests. I think they've made a few changes across the whole of Imperial to make the first few days as fun as possible though. The first one or two days will be hall-organised events to help you get to know the people you'll live with.

Most tend to go home during the hols, tho some international students stay around, as well as some of those who's accommodation includes the hols - the licenses vary from having to vacate every hol to allowing you to stay over Christmas and Easter. For me in Beit Hall, I had to vacate for Easter and take everything back, though we could store a few things in the kitchens. In terms of people sleeping over you prob could get away with it cos noone really is that bothered, though depends if you're sharing a room or if your hall wardens etc are a bit strict.

As for formality, I tend to address teachers and lecturers as Dr ..., though when I'm with my personal tutor I use his first name only (cos he said so :biggrin:). It's best to be safe cos some may be a bit picky. Lecturers vary according to their style - some are very informal, some pretty reserved and strict. The people who make up your colleagues will determine the atmosphere of lectures, tutorials etc...
Reply 7
Wow, some of these really answered my doubts as well!! :biggrin:

Hey Pushupbra (whada name! :biggrin: ), we will prob be in the same department as I will be doing a MSc in Chem Engg after this summer! I wonder if there is anyone here doing the same course as me?
Reply 8
Your answer pkonline are just what I was looking for! You mentioned pretests? Are they used to see how much we know about what we are going to study or how much we remember from what we have studied? :biggrin:
Reply 9
pushupbra
You mentioned pretests? Are they used to see how much we know about what we are going to study or how much we remember from what we have studied? :biggrin:

Hiya! Yeh I mentioned pretests for medics cos I didn't know if all departments did them and I'd doubt if you would have to do them. They're really informal tests (marks aren't taken in, you mark them yourself) just to check that you know enough maths, physics etc that you are assummed to know from school/college. If you get below a certain level then in the first week a number of tutorials are held for you to attend, if you want, to catch up on any missed knowledge. I wouldn't worry about them :biggrin:.
Reply 10
A question about facilities: Is there a gym at IC or will I have to find a gym in London? If there is an IC gym can you give me their web site if they have one?

Cheers :wink:
Reply 11
Yeh there are gyms on campus, the main ones I think are at South Kensington, Charing Cross and St Mary's. There quite popular too! You'll get info on how to join in Fresher's Week, with inductions etc going on all year I think. Here's the site: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/sports/facilities/index.htm
Reply 12
Sounds cool! That makes it easy and accessible! Do you use the phone in your room or do most students rely on their mobiles?
Reply 13
pushupbra
Sounds cool! That makes it easy and accessible! Do you use the phone in your room or do most students rely on their mobiles?

Most people tended to call m8s using room phones cos the calls on it were free to other hall users:biggrin:!
Reply 14
Yeah that makes sense! When you alloted a hall of residence, do you tend to live with those who you will study with or is everyone mixed? Also when I first arrive in London at Heathrow airport, I read on IC's web site that I will be interviewed by an immigration officer. Do you know what this procedure is like if I'm coming from an EU country? Will I show a document of some sort from IC when I go through the passport check?
Reply 15
pushupbra
Yeah that makes sense! When you alloted a hall of residence, do you tend to live with those who you will study with or is everyone mixed? Also when I first arrive in London at Heathrow airport, I read on IC's web site that I will be interviewed by an immigration officer. Do you know what this procedure is like if I'm coming from an EU country? Will I show a document of some sort from IC when I go through the passport check?

Allocations seem pretty random ie. there's no segragation in terms of subject or anything, it's all mixed.

I would guess that if you're from an EU country they wouldn't really ask for anything except maybe a work/student permit (?). Not sure really, maybe the site below may help, especially the "Before You Leave Home" section. I'd email them to make sure everythin is OK, I'm sure they'd respond asap.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/internationalstudents/
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/internationalstudents/before/preparation.htm
Reply 16
Hi pkonline! I've come up with a few more questions for you! :biggrin:

1. I've heard from a friend at LSE that the first few days the uni had arranged for a bank, Natwest to come to the uni and help set up accounts for the newcomers. Does Imperial do something like this and should I wait to set up an account at a bank before the start at uni or should I set one up before?

2. Will Imperial have any special offers when it comes to mobiles (contracts or pay as you talk)?

Cheers
Reply 17
pushupbra
1. I've heard from a friend at LSE that the first few days the uni had arranged for a bank, Natwest to come to the uni and help set up accounts for the newcomers. Does Imperial do something like this and should I wait to set up an account at a bank before the start at uni or should I set one up before?

Yeh I'd wait around. During the first few weeks Natwest hang around trying to recruit students. There's a brach on campus so that makes it pretty good.

2. Will Imperial have any special offers when it comes to mobiles (contracts or pay as you talk)?Cheers

Not sure if they do, never saw anything, but ya never know. For mobiles etc I'd have a look online, places like www.chatterbox.com look good.

:smile:
Reply 18
pkonline
Yeh I'd wait around. During the first few weeks Natwest hang around trying to recruit students. There's a brach on campus so that makes it pretty good.

I checked out Natwest's website and I couldn't find anything about international students! It seems that you have to have been a UK resident for 3 yrs to open a student account! However, on HSBC's website they had a student account for international students!
Reply 19
If you are coming from an EU country they wont ask for anything. EU students are considered to be home students
As for Natwest, they open accounts for all international students as long as they have your acceptance letter from the university to confirm the duration of your course

Latest

Trending

Trending