The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
I have nothing to prove to you,.

You could prove me wrong though:biggrin:

But as we both know I'm not wrong.
"Tourist took pictures of Burkini women in Corsica and then North African men attacked with axes and some kind of stabbing weapons"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/14/man-injured-by-harpoon-during-riot-on-corsica-beach-after-touris/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/700015/Burkini-riot-Corsica-France-pictures-hatchets-harpoons-North-Africa

thank god the local Corsican's defended him, he probably would have been mobbed and killed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
a sure sign of a lost argument

I'm not looking to "win" an argument (you need to grow up), just to point out your racism. Considering that you did much more to point it out than I had to, I would say "mission accomplished".
Original post by WBZ144
Yes, because French "expats" (immigrants) in other countries totally dress like the locals, don't they? Oh wait, it's OK that they don't because their culture is superior anyway, if anything the locals should be attempting to emulate them!

Western culture is superior.I dont know why you're mocking that idea.Its ******** that all cultures are equal and that we have to respect all cultures.Thats not true at all.Western culture is superior in the same way that modern society is superior to 1800's america where slavery was still common.In the same way western society is superior to the middle east because we treat women with more respect than them.And yes the locals should emulate them.A woman in western society can do or be anything she wants to, in the middle east she is vastly more limited in her options.This burkhini is just a symbol of that, and for every muslim woman that covers up out of free choice there are thousands more who dont have that choice.
You could prove me wrong though:biggrin:

But as we both know I'm not wrong.

I could "prove you wrong" if I cared enough about your opinion to do so. I do not.
Original post by WBZ144
I'm not looking to "win" an argument (you need to grow up), just to point out your racism. Considering that you did much more to point it out than I had to, I would say "mission accomplished".

Odd it seems you are here to win this one (not going to well though is it) :biggrin:
If you are an immigrant to a country then yes (even more so if you are a refugee)

and she can be as bigoted as she likes towards other countries but she will be called out on it.

Calm down, Führer. Unfortunately for you, we don't prevent immigrants from exercising their civil liberties here. Freedom of speech :smile:

Dictionary - get one.
Original post by WBZ144
I could "prove you wrong" if I cared enough about your opinion to do so. I do not.

:biggrin:

you care enough to keep posting

It's OK I'm not saying being an immigrant is a bad thing what I am saying is that as an immigrant telling people of the country you move to that they need to change their culture to suit your (the one your parents abandoned) is a little off.

As we would say 'it's just not cricket'
Original post by Robby2312
Western culture is superior.I dont know why you're mocking that idea.Its ******** that all cultures are equal and that we have to respect all cultures.Thats not true at all.Western culture is superior in the same way that modern society is superior to 1800's america where slavery was still common.In the same way western society is superior to the middle east because we treat women with more respect than them.And yes the locals should emulate them.A woman in western society can do or be anything she wants to, in the middle east she is vastly more limited in her options.This burkhini is just a symbol of that, and for every muslim woman that covers up out of free choice there are thousands more who dont have that choice.

You can hold that opinion all you want but by your logic, someone from a Western culture should not be immigrating to a non-Western country if they do not want to adhere to the customs.

Either you support freedom of choice for all or you do not.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Calm down, Führer. Unfortunately for you, we don't prevent immigrants from exercising their civil liberties here. Freedom of speech :smile:

Dictionary - get one.

Actually we do in some cases (it seems you knowledge is lacking here) but more needs to be done as it is resulting in the conflicts we see now

I'd rather prevent this but it seem some (mostly immigrants) want the culture clash so they can claim victim (while leaching of the culture they seem to despise)
:biggrin:

you care enough to keep posting

It's OK I'm not saying being an immigrant is a bad thing what I am saying is that as an immigrant telling people of the country you move to that they need to change their culture to suit your (the one your parents abandoned) is a little off.

As we would say 'it's just not cricket'

I keep posting because I'm bored, you were entertaining at first with your nonsensical, all-over-the-place arguments but now the repetition is starting to bore me as well.

Which isn't the same as caring about your opinion. If I was "ashamed" of anything about myself I could simply lie; this is the Internet, after all.
Original post by WBZ144
I keep posting because I'm bored,

Then let those of us who want to discuss this discuss this without you trolling the thread out of boredom

Or is this just another weak attempt at getting a thread closed as you dislike people opinions on the matter?
Original post by Josb
How do you know that the majority of Saudi Arabians agree with the current legislation of their country? Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, there is no freedom of the press, no political parties, etc. Citizens have no part in the making of the law.

Citizens don't play much of a part in the making of specific laws here either, and for good reasons.

Are you saying you're in favour of tyranny of the majority?
Then let those of us who want to discuss this discuss this without you trolling the thread out of boredom

Or is this just another weak attempt at getting a thread closed as you dislike people opinions on the matter?

You're the one who went off on a tangent with your racist, personal attacks to begin with. I was completely on topic before that :wink:

If you don't like it, you shouldn't have started it. And a better way to get the thread closed would be to report it, which I would have done if I wanted it closed.
Original post by WBZ144
You can hold that opinion all you want but by your logic, someone from a Western culture should not be immigrating to a non-Western country if they do not want to adhere to the customs.

Either you support freedom of choice for all or you do not.

I dont see why a woman from a western culture would want to go to the middle east.Why would you go to a place where the law actively discriminates against you? Just because they have a different culture with different laws doesnt mean those laws should be respected.I would advise respecting those laws anyway simply because you'll end up in prison if you dont not because I actually agree with them.I support freedom of choice for women to wear what they want but Id argue that few women actually want to be covered from head to toe.If they do cover up its because of family pressure,or because religion has deluded them into believing they have to.Its not because they really want to.And anyway its actually pretty offensive to the french to wear these in light of recent terror attacks.
Actually we do in some cases (it seems you knowledge is lacking here) but more needs to be done as it is resulting in the conflicts we see now

I'd rather prevent this but it seem some (mostly immigrants) want the culture clash so they can claim victim (while leaching of the culture they seem to despise)

Do any of those cases pertain to the use of free-speech for criticism/analysis of laws? Should I, as a German-born British Asian, not have the same rights as you? How very enlightened of you.

Immigrants want no such thing, and I don't think antagonising them further and buying into the climate of fear is going to help in the long-run if you really want to defeat the radicals. But who cares about sensible solutions? We don't have time! BAN RELIGION HURR DURR DURR
Reply 376
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Citizens don't play much of a part in the making of specific laws here either, and for good reasons.

Are you saying you're in favour of tyranny of the majority?

Tyranny of the majority is inevitable in any organised society. In this case the "minority" is limited to a few thousands individuals, and the "tyrannical" laws only prevent them from wearing some sets of clothes that they didn't wear 10 years ago.

I dont see why a woman from a western culture would want to go to the middle east.Why would you go to a place where the law actively discriminates against you? Just because they have a different culture with different laws doesnt mean those laws should be respected.I would advise respecting those laws anyway simply because you'll end up in prison if you dont not because I actually agree with them.I support freedom of choice for women to wear what they want but Id argue that few women actually want to be covered from head to toe.If they do cover up its because of family pressure,or because religion has deluded them into believing they have to.Its not because they really want to.And anyway its actually pretty offensive to the french to wear these in light of recent terror attacks.

As I pointed above, these laws that weren't made through a democratic process and therefore cannot be compared to ours.
Original post by WBZ144
You're the one who went off on a tangent with your racist, personal attacks to begin with. I was completely on topic before that :wink:

If you don't like it, you shouldn't have started it. And a better way to get the thread closed would be to report it, which I would have done if I wanted it closed.

once more for the cheap seats

Your race is irrelevant to me it's your status as an immigrant only that is relevant here.

Money is one reason: salaries are high and tax-free, especially if you have a degree from a Western university.

So people who go to live in non-Western countries should not abide by the country's laws because they are "inferior"? That's a very hypocritical and cultural supremacist way of thinking. It is absolutely fine to criticise the laws and even work to change them but expecting certain behaviour from people who come here but not the same from British people who go over there is the height of hypocrisy.

I am against completely against forcing women to cover up as well (though I have stated many times how banning them from going swimming won't solve the problem), but there are religious women who think that it makes them closer to their god and that they will be rewarded for the efforts so why force them to stop covering?

Is the ban to protect women from being forced to cover or is it because they are being associated with terrorists? Some people here keep contradicting themselves as to what the reason is, so which is it?
once more for the cheap seats

Your race is irrelevant to me it's your status as an immigrant only that is relevant here.

It is relevant, and I have pointed out many times how it is relevant but you are too cowardly to admit it.

Quick Reply

Latest