Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

U.K. Qualified dentist working in Canada

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Can a Uk qualified dentist practice in Canada, if so what steps are necessary for this to be allowed?

    You'll have to do some research around this. You may have to take some exams but otherwise your qualifications should be recognised.

    You have to basically do half of your degree again (I have researched this intensively myself). You will also have to pay the course fees upfront or at least prove that you have them upfront (you're looking at somewhere in the region of $150,000 - $200,000 if you take into account living expenses, course fees etc). The United States system works exactly the same way as well because their system doesn't recognise the validity/comparability of foreign qualifications. As I remember it's the clinical years (years 3 & 4 in the U.S. but probably Canada too) that you have to do again, no matter how long you have been practising in your home country to "convert" your BDS to a DDS. There is a reciprocal agreement with Australia that now means you can move with an Australian BDS and practice in Canada (as long as you graduated after 2012) without converting your degree, but a British BDS will not suffice (despite Aus/UK BDS being almost identical in terms of training etc).

    It's sad and annoying and the ridiculous fees that you need to have upfront (U.S. student finance to foreigners is nonexistent unless you can find a U.S. citizen to co-sign the loan for you) sadly mean that this route is essentially closed off unless you are extremely rich.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.