The Student Room Group

I need some Uni advice please. Urgent.

Hello I need some advice about my future. I am 19 years old and have just finished my third year at college doing A levels in th UK. For GCSE's I achieved 2A*'s and 7A's and 2 B's. For A levels I chose Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.

In my first and second year I did not do too well because I had some issues. In my second year I decided to retake everything and do 15 exams which did not end up too well, I got DCC. I decided to retake in my third year which was this year and I had 11 exams because I did not retake some of the maths exams that I achieved an A grade in.

This year I feel really apprehensive about my results. I need AAA for my firm offer which is the Warwick for Computer Science. If I do not meet my offer and do not get into university what do you advice I should do? Retake one last time? If that is the case then it should be an easy year in terms of work for me so It would basically be like a gpa year and I would be a productive as possible.

I'm not sure what it is, I do really well in past papers at home in timed conditions, well as in A* well. I make really odd mistakes in exams and it is frustrating. The only reason to this that I can think of is because of my terrible sleep cycle as I had 3 hour max sleep for most of my exams.

Thanks, please advise.
Thanks a lot for replying and for the advice, I really appreciate it. I completely agree with you. As I said I have had no troubles with A levels in terms of working at home and I have been working hard for the past few years. Maybe doing too many exams is not a good thing, but I did not want to waste extra years. I will say that I was 100% prepared for these exams despite doing 11 this year but because I had so many I felt a bit overwhelmed.

The thing is, If I do retakes and say have about 6 or 7 exams that should not be a problem because I have all my resources and I know exactly what to do for revision. I definitely want to go to a Russel Group uni and do Computer science especially because I know I am fully capable of achieving the grades but I'm quite sure I haven't this year.

Also Universities do not except my circumstances as extenuating even though I believe that is a relative concept.

So If I retake I thought I should be really productive this year e.g. take on a part time job and start preparing for my degree etc.

Also what approach would you suggest? I really would like a degree and I want to do Computer Science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
You may find some Russell Group computer science courses in clearing? Make sure you have a look the night before results day, and have the phone numbers for any you would like to try

Quick Reply