Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Narrowly missed requirements for 4th year of masters degree

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Ok, so I'm doing a joint honours at Glasgow uni and just finished 3rd year of a masters degree. My requirements to get into 4th year were a GPA of at least 12 in my first subject and a GPA of 15 in my second, I got a GPA of 17 in my first but sadly got a GPA of 14.5 in my second, narrowly missing the requirements. I am in talks with the head of level 5 for the second subject as he has the final decision but he has told me that it won't be until next week before he will get back to me. When talking to the heads at the first subject they say that often they would let people in to 4th year of a masters if they just miss out on the requirements but since it is a different subject they don't have authority with that, furthermore, in my final year I will only be doing 40 credits of my 2nd course and will do 80 credits of my first course, meaning that my final year will mainly be focused on my 1st course which I have a GPA of 17 for so far which I feel is a not bad grade. So what I'm wondering is if Glasgow uni often make exceptions to these rules or if it is likely that I will have to move to the bachelors degree

I don't have any personal experience to back this up, but I believe it is moderately common for someone who just missed the requirements to do the one they want to IF they have shown aptitude, keen interest, and a desire to "go beyond" the basic requirements (even if they missed it on this occasion).

As for whether you think you will get it, it really depends on how much work you think you've put in to demonstrate you really want to go that path.

Again, this is really just a hypothesis.

(Original post by currang)
    So what I'm wondering is if Glasgow uni often make exceptions to these rules or if it is likely that I will have to move to the bachelors degree

Unfortunately the decision will only come down to the faculty for your second subject. However, many departments have discretionary grade zones, grades which are just below a cut off point. This usually happens for degree classifications.

I wouldn't say it's uncommon for those who don't make the explicit requirements to continue on the same program, but the situations for this will vary wildly. It can come down to previous performance, department tolerances or, in your case, joint honour program specifics.

Discuss this with your adviser if you haven't already, particularly if you have one for your second subject, they may well have encountered this before.

Hope this helps!

Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.