Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leave tenancy early

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I have recently found out that the place where I rent has mice in the kitchen(I cant go near it or cook anything there), the laundry machine is not functional and the bathroom floods every time it rains. For months there havent been issues like this but its generally not a good lifestyle not to be able to cook anything on the kitchen plot or to mop the floor or collect rain water.

    Can any of those be considered as breaking the terms of the contract? Is there a way to confront the landlord or go somewhere else if the landlord disagrees with me? I would prefer to leave asap as the conditions are generally unbearable.

    "Is there a way to confront the landlord"
    I'm guessing by saying that the landlord isn't aware of these issues? You need to speak to them first and see if they get sorted out...
    • Thread Starter

    he has been aware for 2 weeks and stopped replying to me or answer me generally since i addressed the issues

    Yes. You need to keep a diary and collect evidence (photos, phone logs, incident timeline, e-mails)of these breaches.
    You should contact Shelter for advice on how to proceed or go and visit your local CAB or you may have a welfare rights advisor in the SU.

    0808 800 4444
    Shelter's helpline is open 8am – 8pm on weekdays and 8am – 5pm on weekends, 365 days a year.


    Mice is here.


    contact CAB for advice

    your landlord is obliged to make repairs to keep the house safe and functional in a reasonable time frame... that will vary but obviously all these things need sorting out, the mice as a matter of urgency - this will be included in your contract somewhere

    email your landlord (don't call as you want a record of the conversation) and state the contract clause about repairs etc and say you expect a resolution to be offered within X days then you will contact the council to make a formal complaint


    this advice might be useful ^^^ there are extreme options e.g. witholding rent and trying to leave the tenancy but they are risky if the landlord doesn't agree
    • Thread Starter

    thank you so much for your help ill look into it ))

    (Original post by nomnomnom7)
    Can any of those be considered as breaking the terms of the contract? Is there a way to confront the landlord or go somewhere else if the landlord disagrees with me? I would prefer to leave asap as the conditions are generally unbearable.
    What does it say in your contract? Any contract worth its salt should state your landlord's obligations as well as yours. That said though, man up and get some mouse traps. They are dirt cheap and mice love Rolos (but not your last one obviously!) and peanut butter. We had mice in our garage. Sorted out in 5 minutes work. Don't bother with the humane ones - the mice will simply come back.

    Sort your mice problems out and put in your notice.

    Good luck!
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.