The Student Room Group

Unpaid accounting work experience?

Hi,
I have recently graduated but don't have any work experience. The aim is to self-study for the ACCA, pass all exams by September 2017 (I have seven exemptions because of my degree), gain work experience and then get work by July/August/September 2017.
In regards to my question; is it difficult to get unpaid accounting work experience for a minimum of nine months or so?
Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich
Hi,
I have recently graduated but don't have any work experience. The aim is to self-study for the ACCA, pass all exams by September 2017 (I have seven exemptions because of my degree), gain work experience and then get work by July/August/September 2017.
In regards to my question; is it difficult to get unpaid accounting work experience for a minimum of nine months or so?

My friend is also studying the ACCA straight from sixth form college. From his experience, it was difficult to hold a placement for more than 3 months at a small firm who are the most likeliest to take you on. Having said that he is now in a full-time position at the firm he did a placement for so the importance of small practices cannot be discounted.

In regards to your question, the answer is yes and no. Yes because you will be dealing with sensitive financial information which they cannot allow anyone who is not committed to the company (by having a contract/wage) to access.
No because accounting is statistically one of the most stressful careers and any help is appreciated, especially if it is unpaid.

Best of luck in your job search!

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786
(edited 7 years ago)
It shouldn't be too difficult as you won't be demanding to get paid, you're gonna be offering them free work. I would call up all your local accountants asking them first then emailing your CVs. If they say no, go into their offices and ask in person, be tenacious about it. At the end of the day you're doing them a favour by providing free labour for them if you think about it
Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich
Hi,
Thanks for the very useful replies guys. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending