The Student Room Group

Is it always wrong to ghost someone?

If so, why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
If so, why?

I don't think it's a case of being wrong or right. I think it's just one of those things that happens for various reasons. Sometimes people avoid being open and honest with the other person or they don't want to hurt the other persons feelings. In some people's eyes it is alot easier to ghost. I have been on the receiving end and although it sucks I have always been able to bounce back.
Original post by phunky_fresh
I don't think it's a case of being wrong or right. I think it's just one of those things that happens for various reasons. Sometimes people avoid being open and honest with the other person or they don't want to hurt the other persons feelings. In some people's eyes it is alot easier to ghost. I have been on the receiving end and although it sucks I have always been able to bounce back.

Did it suck because you were left wondering whether you did something to make them lose interest? I was just wondering whether it would be the same if they told you to your face, that you would wonder what caused them to feel like that.
Original post by WBZ144
Did it suck because you were left wondering whether you did something to make them lose interest? I was just wondering whether it would be the same if they told you to your face, that you would wonder what caused them to feel like that.

Yes. I feel like you can learn from dating. So if I'm dating someone and they ghost me I want to know why. I remember when i was younger I kept running into the same issue with guys and i couldn't put my finger on it. It took a while but I finally figured it out, if I had known on the spot I could have been able to nip it in the bud much earlier.
How can you 'ghost' someone? What does it mean?
Reply 5
Original post by WBZ144
If so, why?

depends what ghosting is lol ???
Original post by littlenorthernlass
How can you 'ghost' someone? What does it mean?

When you are dating someone and they up and disappear with no explanation.
Original post by phunky_fresh
When you are dating someone and they up and disappear with no explanation.

Aaaah I see. Yes that is pretty horrible. I think it's always best to give a reason
I did that once and I think she never really got over it. It's been years now and still I hear stories :/

Probably never is the correct answer
I don't think so sometimes stuff just fizzles out for example if you are speaking to a girl online only and never meet them so if one of you just Dosent reply to the message then it can fizzle out etc
Original post by WBZ144
If so, why?

I think it's a very cowardly way of ending a relationship
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I think it's a very cowardly way of ending a relationship

I see, what if it wasn't actually a relationship, but a "friendship" with a lot of flirting going on and you had only met in person once?

It's still cowardly, no doubt but would it be more hurtful if you outright told them why you don't like them anymore (assuming that it's about bad and unattractive traits that they have)?
Original post by Athematica
I did that once and I think she never really got over it. It's been years now and still I hear stories :/

:frown:

To be honest, I have a feeling that it's not a very good way of handling things.
I read a thing once that said ghosting is really bad for people and their mental health because you're left without a sense of closure and constantly wondering what you did wrong and assuming its your own fault which can really take a toll on your self-esteem and how you go forward with relationships.

Even if people think ghosting would be less awkward and would be the nicer option, it will almost always be better to confront so that at least the other person has closure and you don't feel any kind of guilt.
I've ended up ghosting most of my platonic friends, one of them used to joke about how secretive and enigmatic I was.
Original post by Athematica

I've been ghosted before and been a bit bitter perhaps but it hasn't impacted my life in any significant way years later. What happened to this girl?? :shock:
I think some people would do it for power. Others, especially nowadays, do it out of a near-autistic absence of social capabilities.

But yes, I think people deserve explanations. I'd rather be insulted tbh.
Original post by WBZ144
I see, what if it wasn't actually a relationship, but a "friendship" with a lot of flirting going on and you had only met in person once?

It's still cowardly, no doubt but would it be more hurtful if you outright told them why you don't like them anymore (assuming that it's about bad and unattractive traits that they have)?

I think you should still give a reason for not talking to them anymore. It feels awful when someone stops talking to you all of a sudden without telling you why, you start to think to yourself all the wrong things you done and jump to conclusions
It's being done to me now and I'm doing it back to the person now and I hate it but I feel like I deserve an answer. This is probably the only way to get one, ironically enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I think you should still give a reason for not talking to them anymore. It feels awful when someone stops talking to you all of a sudden without telling you why, you start to think to yourself all the wrong things you done and jump to conclusions

I just did, in what I hope was the least cruel way possible. Truth be told, I don't think that there was any way to do this without hurting the guy :frown:

Thanks for your post, you were right. PRSOM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending