Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very mild sore throat after a strep infection?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I recovered from strep throat about 2 weeks ago now, I've been feeling fine up until now, as I've recently developed a slightly larger tonsil on my right side and a mild sore throat. However it's my tonsil that hurts, not my throat. I did have a horrible tonsil stone in there the other day that I managed to dislodge, could it be irritation from this that will go down in a couple of days? I go on holiday tomorrow night and I'm just praying that it's not a strep infection again! Did anyone else feel the same symptoms after recovering from strep?
    I don't feel nauseous, tired, weak or anything anymore. Just wondering whether anyone else had a swollen tonsil for a couple of weeks after! Is it normal for the sore tonsils to linger for a while without having strep?

Hey, I've never had strep throat before but I have had tonsillitis before so I'm not sure how helpful i'll be. Have you been off medication for 2 weeks? If your tonsil has become enlarged again, this may be because it is filtering out bacteria that has become resistant to the specific antibiotic (assuming this is what you were taking) you had and therefore have started to multiply again. This is most likely the case if there is another infection. If you develop any more symptoms or your tonsil keeps getting larger, I'd definitely recommend going back to the doctors, even if it is a doctors near where you are staying on holiday, and they'll probably prescribe you a different antibiotic.
    Best of luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.