The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Obviously I don't know you, and nor am I one of these people who reacts as emotionally deeply as that to books, but I'd be inclined to say that the hype surrounding HP contributes to your emotional reaction. You may enjoy the books, but your enjoyment/passion for them is only intensified by the hyperbole as shops use their business sense to capitalise on people's emotions (by holding midnight parties etc etc), thus deepening them. Personally I don't think it's really healthy to react so emotionally to books so regularly (only one book has ever made me shed a tear, and that was "Paula" by Isabel Allende, for the record).

Anyway, this is hardly on topic now, is it?

I disagree. Though the fact that HP has formed quite an important part of life (this is relative - don't take it too literally) for the last few years, partly because of the media, obviously had some kind of effect in making me quite upset at the last book.

But, I'd also say I'm of a disposition of crying at films and books. (On the other hand, I don't cry a lot in 'real life'). I don't think this is unhealthy, however... because, well, why would it be? I'm not emotionally scarred by them. The HP books were great, entertaining... and in a few years' time, when I've forgotten a good portion of it all, I'll read them again. And cry again. It's good. You should try it some time :biggrin: It hasn't wrecked me.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 41
We'll just have to agree to disagree, then...

Latest

Trending

Trending