The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a hard A level?

I have chosen to do Classical Civilisation, History and English Literature but i want to from English Literature to Psychology?

should i swap?
is the Classics, History and Psychology a good combination?
How hard is psychology a level?
Would i get into a russel group uni with only one facilitating subject (psychology)?
Any extra information about any of these subjects?
Also is chemistry a level hard?
Original post by Kobisha
I have chosen to do Classical Civilisation, History and English Literature but i want to from English Literature to Psychology?

should i swap?
Would i get into a russell group uni with only one facilitating subject (psychology)?

Ive just finished psychology A2 and think it has the potential to be easy if youre both good at essays and good at revising for exams early. Once you have the essay ability it just comes down to being good at remembering all of the studies and theories.

It is a very interesting subject and shouldn't hinder your ability to go to a good university so I say do :smile:
Reply 2
My friends who take psychology say it's fairly easy, just remembering stuff
I do English lit and I really like it, although I do regret not taking history and perhaps psychology as they go really well together
Psychology would add some science so a good variety

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's not a hard subject per se, but there is an incredible amount of content to learn and remember, which has to be specific too. It's essentially testing memory. If you can learn a ton of information then go for it, some of its quite interesting, but it's a lot of work
I personally found it my easiest A Level, but that was because I enjoyed it and enjoyed and understood the concepts. So when it came to memorising the essays, I didnt have to memorise it word for word, I just knew the structure I had to use for it and could explain the concepts in my own words and add examples and context. One thing that can be a pain is learning study names as you do need to include a fair few in your essays. Would 100% recommend it as an A level though, if you have good teachers as well, it makes it even more interesting. I did AQA, and the topics you did were very different so you didn't get bored, we covered topics from attachment to eating disorders to sleep to OCD and more.
Agree mostly with what's been said, but it's usually considered a 'soft' subject and won't particularly help you get a job or university place unless youre specifically looking to work or study in a psychological field.
Reply 6
if I could summarise in a few words I'd say it's easy but a lot to learn
What everyone else has said: it's generally "easy" in the sense that the concepts aren't (usually) difficult to understand, but hard in the sense that you have to plan and memorise A LOT (it's less daunting when you use good memorising strategies though). But it's really interesting so that might make up for it :smile:

I didn't do classics but I found history and psychology went well together; both are essay-based subjects that involve evaluating different arguments/sources, so improving in one subject will probably make it easier to improve in the other. And I didn't do chemistry but everyone who did it in my year found it really difficult. Doesn't mean you can't do well in it of course but just a heads up :biggrin: Other people might think differently but I think unless you have a passion/talent for science and/or want to do a science degree, avoid chemistry given how hard it seems to be.
Reply 8
From experience I can say that it is pretty easy because there's easy multiple choice questions that are pretty much common sense xD. Also, I'm not a very clever lad but even I think it's easy (-ish) haha so i think u will find it goodly
are the essays similar to english literature type meaning is it more analysis with theory based on or creative approach with creative writing?
It is a very interesting subject and shouldn't hinder your ability to go to a good university so I say do :smile:
Original post by Kobisha

should i swap?
Would i get into a russel group uni with only one facilitating subject (psychology)?

No psychology is not hard in my perspective. I used to hate it in the first few lessons but it turned out to be my favourite subject out of all my 4 subjects. I was determined to drop it at AS but I ended up carrying it on to A2, and when you get to A2 you'll enjoy it more because it tends to be repetitive in some aspects still learning more topics on top it. And no this would not be an disadvantage subject interns of you applying to a russel group, this subject can be highly looked upon due to being an hard and not easy subject but you will have to put the effort in.

Yes, chemistry is most certainly hard and I won't lie about this because there is no point is lying saying it isn't hard. It was the hardest out of all 4 of my subjects, and I did underestimate it because I thought it would be like GCSE but it is most certainly not. You have to pay attention and put the effort in if you don't you will most certainly slack. Im in my second year of it and they say the second year is easier than the first which i see where they are coming because it has started easier is some sense. You do have a good combo, choose psychology a lot of people say psychology is a wish washy subject but it really isn't!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending