The Student Room Group

How would one go about transferring university closer to home? (Adjustment/Clearing)

So I applied to a university that I really liked on the open day. The course seemed really good, the city seemed really nice, and everything seemed to really click with me. Anyway, the thing with this university is that it is 4 hours away. I accepted it as my firm, a few months ago, and was really excited to begin there. However, due to recent happenings (which I would rather not get into), I’ve been really concerned about being that far away from home and was thinking that I might be better suited to a university that is much closer to home.

I’m really not sure how to go about this though. The offer from my firm is 300 UCAS points with 160 from two sciences. That would be around BCC with an A at AS in another subject. Although this is my offer, I was predicted to get much higher than this (A*AB), so I was thinking maybe if I did achieve results similar to the ones I was predicted, I could apply through adjustment? The only problem with that is I really feel like I messed up one set of exams and that B is gonna be like a D or an E. And if this is true, then my chances of going through adjustment will be pretty slim.

So then if I couldn’t do adjustment, my only other option would be clearing, right? How would I go about this if I achieved the grades for my firm and insurance? Would I have to email them and ask to be let out of the offer? Then if they let me go, I should be able to apply to universities via clearing?

I’m pretty disheartened at my situation, but because of the events that have unfolded, I think it would be best to attend a university which isn’t that far away from home.

Is everything I’ve said correct with how to go about this?If I did go through adjustment, what things should I do now before I get my results? Right now, I’ve been looking at alternative universities near me and considering emailing them to ask about my situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QwerKi
So I applied to a university that I really liked on the open day. The course seemed really good, the city seemed really nice, and everything seemed to really click with me. Anyway, the thing with this university is that it is 4 hours away. I accepted it as my firm, a few months ago, and was really excited to begin there. However, due to recent happenings (which I would rather not get into), I’ve been really concerned about being that far away from home and was thinking that I might be better suited to a university that is much closer to home.

I’m really not sure how to go about this though. The offer from my firm is 300 UCAS points with 160 from two sciences. That would be around BCC with an A at AS in another subject. Although this is my offer, I was predicted to get much higher than this (A*AB), so I was thinking maybe if I did achieve results similar to the ones I was predicted, I could apply through adjustment? The only problem with that is I really feel like I messed up one set of exams and that B is gonna be like a D or an E. And if this is true, then my chances of going through adjustment will be pretty slim.

So then if I couldn’t do adjustment, my only other option would be clearing, right? How would I go about this if I achieved the grades for my firm and insurance? Would I have to email them and ask to be let out of the offer? Then if they let me go, I should be able to apply to universities via clearing?

I’m pretty disheartened at my situation, but because of the events that have unfolded, I think it would be best to attend a university which isn’t that far away from home.

Is everything I’ve said correct with how to go about this?If I did go through adjustment, what things should I do now before I get my results? Right now, I’ve been looking at alternative universities near me and considering emailing them to ask about my situation.

If you achieve the grades you have to ask to be put into clearing. If you end up able to use adjustment there won't be a specific list, you ll just have to give the universities a call to ask if they ll accept you through it.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you achieve the grades you have to ask to be put into clearing. If you end up able to use adjustment there won't be a specific list, you ll just have to give the universities a call to ask if they ll accept you through it.

Okay, so if I achieve the grades for my offer, but don't exceed them, then I will have to ask to be released into clearing?

But if I achieve my offer, and exceed it, then I can go straight into adjustment and have five days to call about and ask questions to specific universities?
Original post by QwerKi
Okay, so if I achieve the grades for my offer, but don't exceed them, then I will have to ask to be released into clearing?

But if I achieve my offer, and exceed it, then I can go straight into adjustment and have five days to call about and ask questions to specific universities?

Correct on both counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending