The Student Room Group

Cried after my driving leason

I actually feel really embarrassed that im saying this on here but i just want to know that im not the only one.

Im a 19 year old lad and i started crying after i finished my driving lesson today. It was only my third lesson but i just kept doing everything wrong and now i just keep thinking im never gonna be able to drive because it seems VERY complicated. My instructor doesn't exactly shout at me when i make mistakes but he definately gets mad and frustrated when i do.

Im currently testing out all the gears but this is where i make mistakes, i either sometimes to forget to put my foot on the clutch so i can change gears or i end up putting it in the wrong gear while im in the wrong speed. I do make some other mistakes aswell but i just cant explain what im doing wrong (if that makes sense).
sorry mate but it isn't normal. try and get over it for next lesson and tackle it unfazed
Reply 2
If it makes you feel any better I used to cry before AND after my lessons - 7 years later I still can't drive lolz
Hey, Dont worry, I have been there before in the past and have bawled my eyes out. It took me 10 lessons to actually get the gears and the clutch right. The lessons do get easier and dont pressure yourself, make the mistake and move on, dont torment yourself by it. Driving is very practical and you will learn from your mistakes. Remember to give it time and not to rush as you would want to be fully prepared when sitting your driving test and driving by yourself too. Driving will get better with time (it did for me, but my driving instructor used to shout at me when I made a mistake).
Reply 4
You'll learn. Just keep going over the routines.

I had my 5th lesson and I'm still getting the clutch stuff messed up. Give it time and you'll get better but don't let it get to you
Original post by Username789
I actually feel really embarrassed that im saying this on here but i just want to know that im not the only one.

Im a 19 year old lad and i started crying after i finished my driving lesson today. It was only my third lesson but i just kept doing everything wrong and now i just keep thinking im never gonna be able to drive because it seems VERY complicated. My instructor doesn't exactly shout at me when i make mistakes but he definately gets mad and frustrated when i do.

Im currently testing out all the gears but this is where i make mistakes, i either sometimes to forget to put my foot on the clutch so i can change gears or i end up putting it in the wrong gear while im in the wrong speed. I do make some other mistakes aswell but i just cant explain what im doing wrong (if that makes sense).

Trust me OP everyone has a couple (or more) really bad lessons before it starts to get better. You will eventually get the hang of it, your instructor just has to be patient with you. Treat each lesson as a fresh start, dont think about what happened or went wrong in the lesson before as that won't help you. Focus on each individual thing at a time initially rather than trying to do everything at once.
Again if it makes you feel better I used to cry after my driving lessons and my stomach would fill with knots before my lessons. But that was because my first instructor was AWFUL and I had prepaid for the lessons so I was stuck with him for a while. Literally he used to shout at me, get frustrated, aggressively grab the steering wheel from me and always have a go at me for not ruining his tyres by driving too close to the pavement (when I wasn't). I remember one time he said to me you're driving as if you downed a bottle of whiskey the night before. Any ways I found a new instructor who was much better
OP, it's okay to cry. I used to cry a lot after my lessons all the way up until I took my test. I even changed instructors and felt the same but for different reasons so I thought the problem was me but it wasn't!

Take deep breaths, take your time and be patient. Maybe think about changing your instructor because they don't sound very nice. Learning to drive is a process, try not to stress yourself out too much. Try listening to music you like or eating something that makes you happy just before the lesson and do something you enjoy afterwards.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies everyone, im just glad im not the only one. I was supposed to have another lesson last saturday but it got cancelled but now i have one tomorrow instead, i am still nervous obviously but i just hope i have a better lesson compared to my previous one.

P.s
Ive only just realised ive mispelt "lesson" wrong in the thread title 😂
Reply 8
Original post by neal95
sorry mate but it isn't normal. try and get over it for next lesson and tackle it unfazed

Ignore that oddly emotionless person. Loads of people cry after their lessons, and for lots of different reasons. It can feel embarrassing to mess up, but TRUST ME instructors have seen it all before! (And they’ve probably seen MUCH worse! Haha). You’re a learner, no need to put so much pressure on yourself. Just keep plodding along and you will get there.
Original post by psu4e8
Ignore that oddly emotionless person. Loads of people cry after their lessons, and for lots of different reasons. It can feel embarrassing to mess up, but TRUST ME instructors have seen it all before! (And they’ve probably seen MUCH worse! Haha). You’re a learner, no need to put so much pressure on yourself. Just keep plodding along and you will get there.

This thread is over 5 years old. I’m sure OP has got his licence by now.

Latest

Trending

Trending