The Student Room Group

Is a foundation course good?

Hey everyone.Okay so I just got my AS results and its terrible. I thought of doing A levels to increase my marks or maybe doing a foundation course for engineering and going to college for a bachelor's degree.Anyone has done foundation course without A levels and gone to college? How difficult is the foundation course conpared to IGCSE/GCSE and AS/A levels?What do you guys think is the best option? And will having good SAT score be helpful to go for bachelor's degree if I get the foundation degree?
Reply 1
Original post by Ani )
Hey everyone.Okay so I just got my AS results and its terrible. I thought of doing A levels to increase my marks or maybe doing a foundation course for engineering and going to college for a bachelor's degree.Anyone has done foundation course without A levels and gone to college? How difficult is the foundation course conpared to IGCSE/GCSE and AS/A levels?What do you guys think is the best option? And will having good SAT score be helpful to go for bachelor's degree if I get the foundation degree?

You will still need A-levels for a foundation course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
You will still need A-levels for a foundation course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, but I looked up the foundation courses and they don't require As or A2 level. Which is why I considered them.
Reply 3
Original post by Ani )
Thanks for the reply, but I looked up the foundation courses and they don't require As or A2 level. Which is why I considered them.

Which university?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Which university?

My friends going Northampton doin foundation year think she got at AS EUU or EEU
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Which university?

I was mainly looking at Emirates Aviation University for Aerospace engineering. If I do my foundation with them I can do Bachelor's in another Uni. But I wanted some more info.
Reply 6
Original post by Ani )
I was mainly looking at Emirates Aviation University for Aerospace engineering. If I do my foundation with them I can do Bachelor's in another Uni. But I wanted some more info.

Ah, that's not a UK university so I can't much comment... but yes a one foundation should be ok for a BEng. It might be worth checking with your potential universities that this specific qualification is acceptable.

Also, if you resat your A-levels you could also get onto a BEng in 1 year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fel101
My friends going Northampton doin foundation year think she got at AS EUU or EEU

Hey, thanks for the reply c:
Does she find it easier to handle than A-levels?
Do you know if she will continue in the same Uni for bachelor's or transferring anywhere else?
I'm scared I won't be able to transfer after the Foundation.
Original post by Ani )
Hey everyone.Okay so I just got my AS results and its terrible. I thought of doing A levels to increase my marks or maybe doing a foundation course for engineering and going to college for a bachelor's degree.

Hi @Ani =)

Take a look at our Engineering with Foundation Year programme, and give our clearing helpline a call on 0300 456 2666 to discuss an application with an advisor.

Successful completion enables you to go onto the first year of any of the following BEng courses:

Chemical Engineering

Civil and Structural Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Mechanical and Automotive Engineering

Medical Engineering

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending