The Student Room Group

Accidentally paid holiday

I recently started a job in May as a Saturday sales assistant (with 8 contracted hours a week) and went on holiday in June which required 4 Saturdays off work, which I made the employer aware of during my interview. Prior to going on holiday my manager said that it would not be paid (which is what I expected) meaning that it was unpaid leave on the rota, however it has been put down as holiday on payroll for where I accidentally got paid a months wages (which then went straight in my rent because of a standing order). I have been unable to speak to the store manager properly because he was been away so I have only really been able to be able to speak to the person who does the rota however they are being really unhelpful and not accepting that it was paid by accident. He has told me that is it went into my account (not by accident) at the end of July that I will not be paid at all in August however it is still apparently taking up 4/5 days holiday a year so I am a bit confused.. From what I understand of the holiday policy at my work I have 5 paid days of holiday a year and that any holiday mentioned before employment should be put down as leave, not paid holiday. So am I right in thinking that A) I don't get paid in August but get my 4 days holiday back for the rest of the working year or B) I have used 4 days holiday and get to keep the wages as such holiday is supposed to be paid in the first place.

Thanks for any advice, this is stressing me out quite a bit!
Original post by NicolaRaee
I recently started a job in May as a Saturday sales assistant (with 8 contracted hours a week) and went on holiday in June which required 4 Saturdays off work, which I made the employer aware of during my interview. Prior to going on holiday my manager said that it would not be paid (which is what I expected) meaning that it was unpaid leave on the rota, however it has been put down as holiday on payroll for where I accidentally got paid a months wages (which then went straight in my rent because of a standing order). I have been unable to speak to the store manager properly because he was been away so I have only really been able to be able to speak to the person who does the rota however they are being really unhelpful and not accepting that it was paid by accident. He has told me that is it went into my account (not by accident) at the end of July that I will not be paid at all in August however it is still apparently taking up 4/5 days holiday a year so I am a bit confused.. From what I understand of the holiday policy at my work I have 5 paid days of holiday a year and that any holiday mentioned before employment should be put down as leave, not paid holiday. So am I right in thinking that A) I don't get paid in August but get my 4 days holiday back for the rest of the working year or B) I have used 4 days holiday and get to keep the wages as such holiday is supposed to be paid in the first place.

Thanks for any advice, this is stressing me out quite a bit!

I think you're right. It has to be one of the two. I'd start saving a little money if you can, just in case, and wait for the manager to get back and speak to them. If it's not soon that they get back, can you call the head office? They might be able to advise you further. Good luck, hope this gets resolved quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest