Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should the UK become a 'Direct Democracy'?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Not for the vast majority of issues. Major constitutional questions should be settled by referenda; everything else should be determined by representative democracy.

Besides, with all the Trumpite/Corbynite cultists running around these days I'd prefer a somewhat more paternalistic hand on the rudder rather than allowing them to drive us off the cliff into demagogic authoritarianism
    Can't disagree with your first point. It seems that whilst a direct democracy would be incredible in practice, it only really exists as a utopia and that maybe what we need is a representative democracy where we can easily get rid of politicians should they earn the distrust of the electorate (i.e voting out politicians immediately rather than the current deselection process) and a system where fundamental 'easy to understand' issues to be determined by the general public.

It would require too much knowledge n the part of everyone. The petition system does add an element of direct democracy where issues can be 'force' onto the agenda for discussion, rather than being overlooked because they are not vote winners.
    I would prefer proportional representation. This way we would avoid domination by the largest minority as we often have. It would 'eventually' lead to much more cooperation in government and a broader consensus. People would me more likely to vote for what they actually want rather than against a group they don't want. Parties would be more likely to promote the policies they want, rather than watering them down to try to please a broad range of voters in order to dominate.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.