The Student Room Group

LSE/Oxford for Econ/PPE

Hi all,

I've just graduated HS in Portugal (grading system is from 0 to 20). I know what I'm asking for is very difficult, considering differences in the educational systems, but help would be really appreciated. First choice would be Econ/E&M, but, if I'm not competitive enough, I could also consider Economics with something else.

I know LSE considers a 19/20 equivalent to an A*. Hoping Oxford does the same, I did the conversions already.
My school grades (probably equivalent to gsce) are not the best, mainly due to a very bad start in year 10, and I wonder if I can make up for it with the exams. What do you think?

I know I can apply - Oxford asks for a 18/20 on the HS certificate, and I have a 18,5 which gets rounded to 19/20. My question is whether I can make for a competitive application, as I have to decide between going to college in my home country or waiting to apply to the UK.

School grades:
Math: 19 (A*)
Portuguese: 19 (A*)
English: 20 (A*)
Physics/Chemistry: 17 (B*)
Biology/Geology: 17 (B*)
Biology: 20 (A*)
Philosophy: 17 (B*)
Computer software and basic programming (?): 20 (A*)

National exams:
Math: 19 (A*)
Portuguese: 19 (A*)
Physics/Chemistry: 19 (18,5) (A*)
Biology/Geology: 19 (18,8) (A*)
English: 20 (19,7) (A*)

ECs:
Led teams to win:
- first prize at high school entrepreneurship competition held by major national company
- award at the national science fair
- first place in an international science meeting held in Lisbon
- invitation for an international science fair to be held in Brazil in March (Expo Milset 2017)
Also did/will do:
- Toastmasters (started in July)
- volunteering (prob won't be able to get more than 50 hours)

Am I competitive enough for these places?
Does not having Econ in high school hurt my chances?
Reply 1
Bump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending