Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

LSE/Oxford for Econ/PPE

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi all,

I've just graduated HS in Portugal (grading system is from 0 to 20). I know what I'm asking for is very difficult, considering differences in the educational systems, but help would be really appreciated. First choice would be Econ/E&M, but, if I'm not competitive enough, I could also consider Economics with something else.

I know LSE considers a 19/20 equivalent to an A*. Hoping Oxford does the same, I did the conversions already.
    My school grades (probably equivalent to gsce) are not the best, mainly due to a very bad start in year 10, and I wonder if I can make up for it with the exams. What do you think?

I know I can apply - Oxford asks for a 18/20 on the HS certificate, and I have a 18,5 which gets rounded to 19/20. My question is whether I can make for a competitive application, as I have to decide between going to college in my home country or waiting to apply to the UK.

School grades:
    Math: 19 (A*)
    Portuguese: 19 (A*)
    English: 20 (A*)
    Physics/Chemistry: 17 (B*)
    Biology/Geology: 17 (B*)
    Biology: 20 (A*)
    Philosophy: 17 (B*)
    Computer software and basic programming (?): 20 (A*)

National exams:
    Math: 19 (A*)
    Portuguese: 19 (A*)
    Physics/Chemistry: 19 (18,5) (A*)
    Biology/Geology: 19 (18,8) (A*)
    English: 20 (19,7) (A*)

Led teams to win:
    - first prize at high school entrepreneurship competition held by major national company
    - award at the national science fair
    - first place in an international science meeting held in Lisbon
    - invitation for an international science fair to be held in Brazil in March (Expo Milset 2017)
    Also did/will do:
    - Toastmasters (started in July)
    - volunteering (prob won't be able to get more than 50 hours)

Am I competitive enough for these places?
    Does not having Econ in high school hurt my chances?

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.