The Student Room Group

Difference between computer science and computing.

I want to apply both oxford and imperial college. I find that oxford names this course 'computer science', however, imperial college names the course 'computing'.
My question is which word can I use in my personal statement?
Your chosen universities will know what subject you've applied to do so there's no reason to mention it in your personal statement anyway. But if you do want to mention it, say Computer Science. Computing usually refers to a degree with substantially less maths content than Comp Sci so it might perhaps look a bit strange to the Oxford admissions tutor.
Computer science is more well regarded than computing for example at Greenwich university they have both computing and computer science and computing has lower entry requirements because its a lot easier and they move people onto that course if they dont pass computer science. So you should do computer science if your more capable,
Original post by y1999zk
I want to apply both oxford and imperial college. I find that oxford names this course 'computer science', however, imperial college names the course 'computing'.
My question is which word can I use in my personal statement?

they're both computer science degrees, just Imperial's has more of a practical element (it's still very theoretical) than most computer science courses.

BUT, with the exception of Imperial, most computing degrees are entirely practical in focus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending