The Student Room Group

should multiple doping athletes be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bananapeeler
Why would any 15 year old dope...all you've said is you're pretty good amongst a bunch of undeveloped kids. It's not comparable to the world class level of running, where they're so close to their physical limits that shaving 30 seconds off their time is almost unimaginable.

^ it's because he said they should make youth competitors who beat national times get tested and such be treated as such taking drugs because you improve out of the middle of nowhere being a youth athlete if you're not doping.

Original post by inhuman

And yes, that would include starting to test young athletes. If you are good and do well at youth competitions, get tested. If you suddenly appear out of nowhere with amazing times/distances/feats, get tested.
( but I did, I improved massilby in two months with hard work and good training, you don't have to improve over a amount of time to be good and not doping )
Why would any 15 year old dope...all you've said is you're pretty good amongst a bunch of undeveloped kids. It's not comparable to the world class level of running, where they're so close to their physical limits that shaving 30 seconds off their time is almost unimaginable.

Except they're not unimaginable at all. It's happened for ages. Someone comes along with a better way of doing thing;s better training, better equipment, better natural physiology and they go further / higher / faster than others have before.

Look at Paula Radcliffe and her marathon times. Look at Bradley Wiggins and his hour record.

Records will always be broken. But that doesn't by default mean people are cheating.
Original post by elmosandy
^ it's because he said they should make youth competitors who beat national times get tested and such be treated as such taking drugs because you improve out of the middle of nowhere being a youth athlete if you're not doping.

Oh right, I don't think huge performance spikes would be surprising below 16-18 years old, unless they were already performing to Olympic standard
Original post by Drewski
Except they're not unimaginable at all. It's happened for ages. Someone comes along with a better way of doing thing;s better training, better equipment, better natural physiology and they go further / higher / faster than others have before.

Look at Paula Radcliffe and her marathon times. Look at Bradley Wiggins and his hour record.

Records will always be broken. But that doesn't by default mean people are cheating.

Nah, I wasn't talking about long distance events where obviously 30 seconds is simply impressive.
Nah, I wasn't talking about long distance events where obviously 30 seconds is simply impressive.

Then you're also not basing your posts on anything resembling reality. What other events is it possible to improve "by 30 seconds", if not long distance?
Original post by Drewski
Then you're also not basing your posts on anything resembling reality. What other events is it possible to improve "by 30 seconds", if not long distance?

middle-distance events? 1500m/2000m/3000m(albeit on the borderline).
Reply 86
I was a 2.27.3 standard when I was running at a club level, fast forward two months and I upped my time to 2.15.2 with top ranking in the UK u15 2012, if I was doping, everyone else is, you know nothing about athletics and improvement. Training and good coach does wonders it can.

U15...we are talking about adults and that gains.

And yes, for youths with that improvement I said, and maintain, that they should already be tested.

^ it's because he said they should make youth competitors who beat national times get tested and such be treated as such taking drugs because you improve out of the middle of nowhere being a youth athlete if you're not doping.( but I did, I improved massilby in two months with hard work and good training, you don't have to improve over a amount of time to be good and not doping )
As I said above, get tested. I did not say I automatically assume you are doping. I said that about Hosszu and Jebet who had miraculous improvements within a year (i.e. just one off-season training period) and are not young anymore. About young athletes I said they should already be tested. Nothing more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Drewski
Not unusual and not the first.

But, sceptics gonna sceptic.

Ignorant gonna be ignorant.
middle-distance events? 1500m/2000m/3000m(albeit on the borderline).

For an individual to improve their own performance over that kind of distance is, if not easy, then realistic given the right changes in training, diet, etc. It's happened to all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons.

But when you consider that the world record for the 1500m, for example, has only improved by 3.6 seconds in 30 years, that kind of improvement is unheard of.
Original post by inhuman
Ignorant gonna be ignorant.

There's a difference between the two.

Nobody's blind to the effect of drugs in sport, but you can be realistic without being an arse.
Original post by inhuman
U15...we are talking about adults and that gains.

And yes, for youths with that improvement I said, and maintain, that they should already be tested.

As I said above, get tested. I did not say I automatically assume you are doping. I said that about Hosszu and Jebet who had miraculous improvements within a year (i.e. just one off-season training period) and are not young anymore. About young athletes I said they should already be tested. Nothing more.

So what I should be tested because I made such a massive improvment in the space of two months with hard training and good coaches?/

Why such a doubt over my performance ability that I have to be tested if I make a massive improvement with good coaches?
From reading this there is one athlete that comes to my mind, Canada's Ben Johnson. He was a great athlete but when he used banned drugs even the world couldn't believe it. He was like the Bolt of the 80s.
Reply 92
Original post by Drewski
There's a difference between the two.

Nobody's blind to the effect of drugs in sport, but you can be realistic without being an arse.

Fair enough. But considering the head of Kenyas atheltics being suspended only after foreign media proved him to be a drug cheat (like they didn't know what was going on with him) and then later a coach trying to pass as an athlete for a urine sample...Africa is a corrupt continent, it just is, it's not a wrong generalization, so yes, it would be naive to think that just when it gets to sport, it suddenly isn't. For many poor there it's a way out, but hey they need drugs to win, so they do and to get away they bribe officials. It's pretty straightforward. Or is it a surprise that a plethora of ex Soviet bloc states were all banned from the weightlifting?

This is not me being an arrogant westerner or an arse. But countries like Germany and the UK have much better anti-doping agencies, they promote a clean and fair sport, they have money to support athletes, etc. Take Germany, where is all that female talent from the East? It never existed, it was all drugs. If the drugs had continued you'd see say German swimmers still doing well. But you don't. Maybe one or two in a decade for the women that could compete at the top (Steffen, van Almsick). UK, pumped a lot of money into sports and you saw the benefits of that now. They are above China not because of cheating but because of investment.

That is being realistic. Not an arse.
Reply 93
So what I should be tested because I made such a massive improvment in the space of two months with hard training and good coaches?/

Why such a doubt over my performance ability that I have to be tested if I make a massive improvement with good coaches?

If you aren't doping, why whine about tests? You have nothing to fear...
Original post by Drewski
For an individual to improve their own performance over that kind of distance is, if not easy, then realistic given the right changes in training, diet, etc. It's happened to all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons.

But when you consider that the world record for the 1500m, for example, has only improved by 3.6 seconds in 30 years, that kind of improvement is unheard of.

Maybe, I was just piggybacking off of whoever made the point. There are many red flags, this is just an example of one of them and naturally if there wasn't a plausible, legal explanation we wouldn't be having this conversation. I should add, the 30 seconds is just an arbitrary number - what could be considered suspicious is obviously going to fluctuate between distances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman

Who's paying for it?

Making youth and amateur athletes pay to compete is going to drive a lot of them out of the sport - or make cheating more prevalent as they then would have to win to make it worthwhile.

Original post by inhuman
Fair enough. But considering the head of Kenyas atheltics being suspended only after foreign media proved him to be a drug cheat (like they didn't know what was going on with him) and then later a coach trying to pass as an athlete for a urine sample...Africa is a corrupt continent, it just is, it's not a wrong generalization, so yes, it would be naive to think that just when it gets to sport, it suddenly isn't. For many poor there it's a way out, but hey they need drugs to win, so they do and to get away they bribe officials. It's pretty straightforward. Or is it a surprise that a plethora of ex Soviet bloc states were all banned from the weightlifting?

This is not me being an arrogant westerner or an arse. But countries like Germany and the UK have much better anti-doping agencies, they promote a clean and fair sport, they have money to support athletes, etc. Take Germany, where is all that female talent from the East? It never existed, it was all drugs. If the drugs had continued you'd see say German swimmers still doing well. But you don't. Maybe one or two in a decade for the women that could compete at the top (Steffen, van Almsick). UK, pumped a lot of money into sports and you saw the benefits of that now. They are above China not because of cheating but because of investment.

That is being realistic. Not an arse.

That's also not what you're been arguing. Nobody's saying doping doesn't happen or that it'll stop overnight. But just because someone shows a big improvement in what you think is a small amount of time does not by default mean they have to be doping. We need to be fair on both sides of the argument. If you can prove someone is cheating, then fine. If you can't you have to give them the benefit of that. You can't just turn around and say "well clearly you're taking something that doesn't show up on the tests".
Original post by inhuman

I agree with you to a certain degree that doping regulations need to be made stricter to catch doping out but this is common in athletes ( if you were in the athletics world you would know my improvement isn't extraordinary ) so to say all the good and improved athletes who have got good and improved times/pb should be tested automatically under the assumption that they're possibly or a small percent of this could be due to doping is discriminating. When reality, this is common, and shouldn't be automatically treated as if unattainable, ( which is isn't, in reality, this stuff happen every year, with the good coach, if you were in the athletics world, you would know) it's not just me loads of athletes improve by 12 seconds. To say that if you improve by 12 seconds with hard work, can be only achieved with doubt is unfair. If so, all the athletes should be tested, not just the good ones.

I think it's unfair to give an ultimatum when you don't understand how recreational athletics work.
Reply 97
Original post by Drewski
Who's paying for it?

Making youth and amateur athletes pay to compete is going to drive a lot of them out of the sport - or make cheating more prevalent as they then would have to win to make it worthwhile.

That's also not what you're been arguing. Nobody's saying doping doesn't happen or that it'll stop overnight. But just because someone shows a big improvement in what you think is a small amount of time does not by default mean they have to be doping. We need to be fair on both sides of the argument. If you can prove someone is cheating, then fine. If you can't you have to give them the benefit of that. You can't just turn around and say "well clearly you're taking something that doesn't show up on the tests".

Who said anything about the kids paying?

And no, but it does mean I get to question whether other countries test as strictly as mine. What track record athletes of other countries have.

And that's what I said in another post, you need much more comparable testing across the world. You need much better visibility of who produces PEDs and where do these go to. And of course you need "get caught once = banned for life".
Reply 98
I agree with you to a certain degree that doping regulations need to be made stricter to catch doping out but this is common in athletes ( if you were in the athletics world you would know my improvement isn't extraordinary ) so to say all the good and improved athletes who have got good and improved times/pb should be tested automatically under the assumption that they're possibly or a small percent of this could be due to doping is discriminating. When reality, this is common, and shouldn't be automatically treated as if unattainable, ( which is isn't, in reality, this stuff happen every year, with the good coach, if you were in the athletics world, you would know) it's not just me loads of athletes improve by 12 seconds. To say that if you improve by 12 seconds with hard work, can be only achieved with doubt is unfair. If so, all the athletes should be tested, not just the good ones.

I think it's unfair to give an ultimatum when you don't understand how recreational athletics work.

Well then make it so that you can say I don't want to get tested, but in return you say you forgo a "professional" career. You don't not get tested and by the time you are in your mid 20s you trained like mad while on drugs and suddenly can compete at the Olympics.

And I am sorry, but in light of everything, I just have a very sinister view of some athletes from certain countries.
Original post by inhuman
Who said anything about the kids paying?

And no, but it does mean I get to question whether other countries test as strictly as mine. What track record athletes of other countries have.

And that's what I said in another post, you need much more comparable testing across the world. You need much better visibility of who produces PEDs and where do these go to. And of course you need "get caught once = banned for life".

Who else is going to pay? Inevitably the cost will be passed onto the athletes in one way or another.

And yeah, some countries are, frankly, crap. But I don't really care what happens in their own country. Let the national record holder of that country do whatever the hell they want if they're prepared to let them get away with it, but make sure at international level that the tests are rigourous, detailed and all-encompassing.

And yes, agree that guilty = ban for life but with caveats. As previously mentioned in this thread Alan Baxter was a British downhill skier who won bronze at Salt Lake City in 2002, but tested positive for a banned substance after having used Vic's Vapourub which, in the US, has different ingredients to the UK version, one of which was on the banned substance list. That's an innocent mistake and shouldn't get treated the same was as those who deliberately and knowingly take steroids or engage in blood doping.

Quick Reply

Latest