The Student Room Group

Sick of been made to feel i'm not trying hard enough

I'm a graduate currently working in fast-food industry while I apply for work in my field. I took the leap and moved out into my own house to rent with partner. We're both University educated, but working in fast food to make ends meet.

I moved to get away from my previous job in hospitality because my boss was controlling and manipulative and colleagues were nasty and spiteful. Toxic environment and my mother lives on site and I was sick of the company running my family into ground, threatening our housing situation.

Fast forward to now, and I've lived independently for nearly 6 months, I'm depressed, hate my current job even more, I am applying for loads of jobs to try and get out of this one. Seems like a repetitive cycle of trying to get out of this loop or rubbish jobs and wanting to have a purpose, to do something better and feel worthy again.

My partner is depressed and receiving treatment for depression, and I've got a history of depression, anxiety and mental illness anyhow. Lately, I've been really productive and positive with my job hunting, but after so many days pass by I start to feel depressed as i haven't heard anything. Guess i'm so sick of my situation I am eager to prove myself and get a graduate job in my field.

I'm currently at home- getting away from it all- seeing family, and first thing they say to me is "Heard anything about that job/job(s)?" and start telling me i need to apply myself- while I am actually trying to do all I can.

My mum is a single parent and pretty poor, and she doesn't appreciate the fact that in today's market its very different and harder to find work- even for the educated. She thinks I don't apply myself because I'm always on my laptop- but on my laptop working or drafting CV's.

We live in a pretty affluent area, even though we are poor- house comes with the job- and frankly I'm sick of seeing people in flash car, and smarmy smirks, condescending comments. I've never been privileged and it must be quite nice to get a job through Mummy and Daddies connections and not have the hardships to endure.

I came back to mums to get away from the gloom of working where I do and the depressive process of job hunting, only to feel worse.

Just wanted to rant...
Put your CV on a "popular" job site (Reed, Monster, totaljobs, Indeed)
Reply 2
LinkedIn also helps. You would be surprise how frequently people get contacted for new jobs on there.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Put your CV on a "popular" job site (Reed, Monster, totaljobs, Indeed)

I have done, I also apply for many jobs through these sites. I have had two follow-up emails from recruiters asking to see a portfolio of work, so I email and there is no follow up after that. Literally hear nothing.

Other times, I am rung up on dodgy numbers by telesales people claiming to be recruiters for jobs- however, these are usually commission based con jobs. My partner fell victim to one of these jobs. This aside, I additionally get so called 'insurance' firms ringing telling me I'm eligible for a pay out after my accident- when its clear to me I haven't had one. Clearly, these firms get my telephone number from my CV uploaded on jobsites.

I'm skeptical of jobsites for the uses of graduate employment, I'd much rather apply direct to employer- which I do, but no cigar.
Original post by Anonymous
I have done, I also apply for many jobs through these sites. I have had two follow-up emails from recruiters asking to see a portfolio of work, so I email and there is no follow up after that. Literally hear nothing.

Other times, I am rung up on dodgy numbers by telesales people claiming to be recruiters for jobs- however, these are usually commission based con jobs. My partner fell victim to one of these jobs. This aside, I additionally get so called 'insurance' firms ringing telling me I'm eligible for a pay out after my accident- when its clear to me I haven't had one. Clearly, these firms get my telephone number from my CV uploaded on jobsites.

I'm skeptical of jobsites for the uses of graduate employment, I'd much rather apply direct to employer- which I do, but no cigar.

So perhaps your CV isn't good enough - if the few times recruiters have contacted you about a possible job and you hear nothing back, then the employers aren't interested.
I think it's key not to mention your retail experience if you apply for things that aren't retail positions.
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
LinkedIn also helps. You would be surprise how frequently people get contacted for new jobs on there.

I'm already on LinkedIn. I login often and monitor my activity. I've never had employers directly contact me. However, I have had an employee from a company I interviewed at check out my profile very recently. Coincidentally he is a graduate from the same uni and as me, and landed a job at a company I was interviewed at. I could've messaged him and followed up, but didnt know what to say.
Reply 6
So perhaps your CV isn't good enough - if the few times recruiters have contacted you about a possible job and you hear nothing back, then the employers aren't interested.
I think it's key not to mention your retail experience if you apply for things that aren't retail positions.

I get what you are saying to me, however, I've had successes before, and my CV has landed me interviews in the past. Although I had a pretty pithy covering letter with that.

I've just not had the same success with jobsites as I have applying for things through other channels.

But perhaps my CV could be improved. I applied for a intern position in the NHS and my CV combined with cover letter got me an interview- however interview went to pot! So I assumed my CV wasn't the issue.
Reply 7

RE: in relation to your comment about CV content:

In theory I agree, when you say its important to not mention experience that isn't relevant to the role. To be selective. However, isn't listing all of your experiences a more broader and realistic view of yourself?

'I have 8 years of experience in retail, voluntary experiences in design, and ad hoc experiences in freelancing projects', sounds much better to an employer than simply:

'Volunteered and have a few freelance projects under my belt'.

I should point out, I usually put the most important employment histories at the top in order of importance.
I think maybe it's because the first thing you put in the experience section is "8 years of experience in retail" - when you apply it's likely that your CV will be read by someone that is very busy. They'll probably read "8 years of experience in retail" and then move on to the next CV
Reply 9
I think maybe it's because the first thing you put in the experience section is "8 years of experience in retail" - when you apply it's likely that your CV will be read by someone that is very busy. They'll probably read "8 years of experience in retail" and then move on to the next CV

My CV doesn't read in the way I mentioned. I was just explaining my point. My actual CV has a profile at the top, about a short paragraph or two- which talks about my digital media/software skills, creative skills and ability to manage creative teams, while managing my own workload.

The second paragraph states my intention and the fact I'm seeking my first role in industry as a Digital Designer. I don't think it is content that which is the problem.
My CV doesn't read in the way I mentioned. I was just explaining my point. My actual CV has a profile at the top, about a short paragraph or two- which talks about my digital media/software skills, creative skills and ability to manage creative teams, while managing my own workload.

The second paragraph states my intention and the fact I'm seeking my first role in industry as a Digital Designer. I don't think it is content that which is the problem.

OK then, I'd suggest keep going. Recruitment rates always slow down during the holiday season.
Job hunting is a pain in the ass but what is worse is not having one at all.

The good thing is you have one (dislike or not) and can take some skills that you have gained from them into another line of work.

I know how it feels being in a job you dislike - I spent over 3 years in 2 jobs I really disliked but I finally got into the job I'm in now and feel happier than I was.*Have you tried agency work or getting some careers advice? Maybe let them have a look over your CV and find ways of sprucing up your CV or give you advice on finding a job in your field?

Better getting some help than applying for work and not positioning yourself in the best way possible. Good luck**
Original post by DanielleT192
Job hunting is a pain in the ass but what is worse is not having one at all.

The good thing is you have one (dislike or not) and can take some skills that you have gained from them into another line of work.

I know how it feels being in a job you dislike - I spent over 3 years in 2 jobs I really disliked but I finally got into the job I'm in now and feel happier than I was.*Have you tried agency work or getting some careers advice? Maybe let them have a look over your CV and find ways of sprucing up your CV or give you advice on finding a job in your field?

Better getting some help than applying for work and not positioning yourself in the best way possible. Good luck**

It is very true, at least I have a job, I'm just tired of not finding a job that is more relevant to my industry- or at least not been able to land a job in my field.

I've never tried agency work and I have had some careers advice from my University, however, it wasn't very good. I may have to email my CV to them again to review it. Thing is, as I've already mentioned, my CV has got me interviews before so I am unsure as to if it is my CV that is the problem.
It is very true, at least I have a job, I'm just tired of not finding a job that is more relevant to my industry- or at least not been able to land a job in my field.

I've never tried agency work and I have had some careers advice from my University, however, it wasn't very good. I may have to email my CV to them again to review it. Thing is, as I've already mentioned, my CV has got me interviews before so I am unsure as to if it is my CV that is the problem.

It might have got you interviews before but if you're looking for something specific in a specific field, your CV may need adjusted. My friend who has worked in a good handful of jobs has had more than one CV as she's made it specific to the job she's applied for.

I don't know where you live so can't advise on where to go about agency work (live in Glasgow) but they're really good at keeping you up to date with any jobs that may be going. As for careers advice, again basing where I live, they have somewhere you can get advice on everything from jobs, vacancies, interview tips and CVs application forms etc. You should**search for something similar in your area.
Also lastly there's a lot of people in your position. When you were a student, did you get the opportunity to do any work experience in your field? Can you do anything even on a voluntary basis ATM if you haven't?*
Reply 15
there there it will get better :console:

although its unfair to assume that all better off people got to where they are because of mummy and daddys connections. its not true so don't be quick to judge, half the people I work with are self-made wealthy people who all came from broken backgrounds too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending