The Student Room Group

Student loans have been altered by 3rd party

Hi guys, this is basically a final plea in whether anyone else is or has been in my situation, or if anyone can help, I appreciate anything as I am in a bit of a desperate situation.

There is a background story here so bare with me please:

So I applied for the £9,000.00 like everyone else back in 2015 (I have photo evidence) to cover my tuition fees however there was a hitch with my student finance once all had been finalised. I was on the Computer Science course, but the finance was going to Computing Science. I called Student Finance to change it, they told me to ask the Uni, so I did. They never replied after I asked, my tutor just notified me about a week after that it had been sorted, however what I did not know was that the Uni changed the amount of money I was asking for too. They did this without my consent and did not tell me about it. Now they are asking for £4,500.00 and Student Finance are basically giving me a *shrugs shoulders* approach (not that they are particularly helpful anyways). I tried to explain to the Uni but they "have no evidence of this" and basically I need help as to who to go to.

I have contacted my local council and ombudesman, wondering whether to try CAB, but obviously I can't pay £4,500.00 and I might not be able to continue my course.

It annoys me how someones life can become so messed up because of a silly mistake made by someone in an office.
What does it say on your application! There should be a box for maximum, did you tick that?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
What does it say on your application! There should be a box for maximum, did you tick that?

Hi Tiger
I did check the max amount in the initial application, I couldn't attatch the photo to the OP, but I can on this reply.

image.jpeg
Original post by tobywild95
Hi Tiger
I did check the max amount in the initial application, I couldn't attatch the photo to the OP, but I can on this reply.

You need to phone student finance and ask what's going on. You can apply for up to £9k (which is the maximum unis can charge) and if the fees are less, the uni informs student finance.

I'm confused where the £4500 that student finance will pay comes from.
Reply 4
I did call student finance, not much in terms of a solution, and read the post again, the £4,500.00 is what the Uni have done, not me, they altered my application.
Reply 5
wow hope this gets sorted soon... seems like a complete mess if you ask me. I suggest just keep ringing up and asking them till they actually do something about it and also ring up your uni to ask ?
I did call student finance, not much in terms of a solution, and read the post again, the £4,500.00 is what the Uni have done, not me, they altered my application.

That makes no sense. The university does not receive or process your application. SFE does. They can't alter an application you sent straight to SFE.
Original post by Juichiro
That makes no sense. The university does not receive or process your application. SFE does. They can't alter an application you sent straight to SFE.

yes they can - if a university sends a change of circumstance to alter the fee then this will get updated even without the student knowing

If you ticked for the maximum tuition fee then the reason you only were awarded 4500 is because 4500 was the maximum for the course, if it was not the max then your university needs to send a "CHANGE OF CIRCUMSTANCE" (Tell this to your university) to student finance england and then your application will get updated and get charged the 9000

If you definitely ticked the maximum in the loan and fees section then this is something your university needs to contact SFE about, not you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending