The Student Room Group

Spanish GCSE

Is it necessary to have a MFL at GCSE level to gain university entrance for a science degree ?
Brief answer: no. It's a good GCSE to have, but not necessary for anything except (possibly) proceeding to an MFL A level. The exception to this is UCL, which likes that all its applicants have at least a grade C in a modern language GCSE (or they must undertake a special language course once they get there).
Original post by MersennePrime
Yes, it is. The person above me is lying. Most Russel Group universities require that you have at least 1 MFL. The other universities do not require it, but do highly recommend it.

With the best will in the world, I believe that's nonsense. Unless you can come up with some more concrete examples of Russel Group universities other than UCL (whose consideration of such a GCSE can be found here) explicitly requiring a GCSE in a modern language, I am led to believe that it is the only one. I haven't been able to find any others.

Yes, it's a great subject to have, and if the OP were to ask my opinion I would highly recommend taking one on. Yes, universities do consider them highly. No, in the vast majority of cases they are not necessary for undergraduate entry.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest