Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

AAT Levels Compared to GCSE/A-Level

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am embarking on the AAT course after studying Accounting at school to A Level.

This was quite a while ago and I found that I have forgotten a lot! But it is coming back to me. I was given a Level 1 book and I went through it in about one hour. I was going to sign up for classroom studies to do Level 2, but I am now thinking that maybe I could go through Level 2 myself (say in a month?) and then join Level 3 for the classroom stuff? I am really determined and am ready to study hard to try and do Level 3 in half a year and maybe even Level 4 in 6-9 months after that...

Could someone tell me how AAT Levels 2 and 3 compare to the school exams? Would it be right to say that Level 2 is like GCSE and Level 3 is like A-Level?

And to get onto Level 3 do you have to already have passed the Level 2 exam or is demonstrating the knowledge enough? I am prepared to take the exam after self-study, if needed.

You can start level 3 without level 2- the AAT don't care (or at least this was the case 3-4 years ago, things might have changed since then). I came from a totally non-accounting background and started with level 2, which I found useful. But my work changed the scheme the following year and the new starters (also from non-accounting backgrounds) started straight on level 3. They both did fine- one failed a couple of exams but admitted this was more to do with lack of effort on their part.

I'd say don't waste time/money on level 2, even the exams. Just refresh your knowledge using some textbooks and start straight on level 3. You can do level 3 in 6 months no problem. Level 4 took me 10 months but it totally depends on how you get on with the project- that can set you back ages!

Hi, thanks for the post. That is just what I have decided today after consulting with people at First Tuition.

I looked at Level 2 and, although I need to refresh my memory, I would have been bored if I had signed up for a full course in Level 2.

So I am going to self-study the two book-keeping courses in Level 2 and hopefully start Level 3 about a month from now.

Even Level 3 does not seem so intense or anything beyond what I learnt at school. It covers a lot and goes into good detail, so it really prepares you, I see. So I can agree with you that Level 3 is a good place to start -- after making sure I know Level 2, of course....
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.