The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It may be partially due to a superior engine but the analysis confirms i play worse on chess.com, i.e. more blunders and mistakes etc. My blitz on there is like 1280 now, and I find the 1300s seem to be more tactically aware, aggressive, and knowledgeable about openings (i.e. they know main lines and stuff) than some people up to 2000 on lichess, where my blitz is around 1750. I wonder if the layout can have any affect cos that's the only thing that's different. Indeed when I play OTB chess I play worse for a period because I'm not used to the playing arena looking like that.

Yep I actually thought it might just be the layout, which is why I'm now trying playing green board alpha pieces on chess.com like I do on lichess. Currently playing a standard game now so I'll see how it goes :smile:.

Ikr, if I play OTB now I will blunder like crazy just because it's so hard to process the pieces looking like that XD.
It's funny playing against weaker players; if you blitz out your moves from the start they'll try to do the same to show off/one-up you but if you suddenly start taking a lot of time with each move they do too XD (and this is in standard chess lol).
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yep I actually thought it might just be the layout, which is why I'm now trying playing green board alpha pieces on chess.com like I do on lichess. Currently playing a standard game now so I'll see how it goes :smile:.

Ikr, if I play OTB now I will blunder like crazy just because it's so hard to process the pieces looking like that XD.

I've got my bearings a bit, stopping the rot but still low (think GBP/USD lol) but I used to be around 1400 on Chess.Com in Blitz and Lightning and am still struggling to break 1300. I don't see why I would have gotten worse, I know all that I knew then and I am certainly well practised at the moment. Standard tends to be quite a bit higher, haven't played that in a while.

Over the board blitz is especially bad. Well, the absolute worse is bughouse. At Warwick Chess they always want to and often do play Bughouse tournaments and I just hate it lol.
I've got my bearings a bit, stopping the rot but still low (think GBP/USD lol) but I used to be around 1400 on Chess.Com in Blitz and Lightning and am still struggling to break 1300. I don't see why I would have gotten worse, I know all that I knew then and I am certainly well practised at the moment. Standard tends to be quite a bit higher, haven't played that in a while.

Over the board blitz is especially bad. Well, the absolute worse is bughouse. At Warwick Chess they always want to and often do play Bughouse tournaments and I just hate it lol.

But bughouse is so fun! I think I've only had the chess to play it a couple of times of my life lol. Will enjoying actually playing with real pieces at Warwick haha.
Ok at least 1450s still blunder on chess.com; he played Re8 blundering f7 after about 5 mins of thought! https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1703694940
Hopefully I can maintain a solid 1700 soon, I like this whole alpha pieces green board thing, makes it feel like I'm on lichess so I play better XD.
But bughouse is so fun! I think I've only had the chess to play it a couple of times of my life lol. Will enjoying actually playing with real pieces at Warwick haha.

Not when you're just getting mated lol. Most people are better than me at Warwick. Hopefully getting some proper tournament experience will make me better next year.
Ok at least 1450s still blunder on chess.com; he played Re8 blundering f7 after about 5 mins of thought! https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1703694940
Hopefully I can maintain a solid 1700 soon, I like this whole alpha pieces green board thing, makes it feel like I'm on lichess so I play better XD.

Standard ratings are higher for sure.
I see a trend in my ratings

Correspondence chess (24 hours to 3 days a move): 94th percentile
Rapid chess (usually 15|10, up to 60|0): 85th percentile
Blitz chess (around 3 to 10 minutes): 75th percentile
Bullet chess (less than 3 minutes): 72nd percentile

Do more good players play faster time controls or are these results telling me something about my play..
dont mind a game now anyone ?
Intermediate level
Original post by The Sexathlete
Absolutely not :/

Can play now if you want
Can play now if you want

Me too, set up the game and I'll log into my account
<magic happens here>
Me too, set up the game and I'll log into my account

https://en.lichess.org/xpAIPgmH
<magic happens here>

0 inaccuracies, 0 mistakes, 0 blunders..
Have you played chess competitively lol
I suppose it was a short game and I moved too fast early on, missing the queen check then it was a worthless and exploitable position
0 inaccuracies, 0 mistakes, 0 blunders..
Have you played chess competitively lol
I suppose it was a short game and I moved too fast early on, missing the queen check then it was a worthless and exploitable position

I made mistakes around the mid game, I think
my father was semi-pro which is when I play mostly

Can't see any and neither can the (probably relatively weak) lichess analysis engine lol
Ah I see

That's some extremely accurate play... virtually 100% computer agreement....

'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?
That's some extremely accurate play... virtually 100% computer agreement....

To be fair my mistakes were blindingly obvious to someone thinking at all - an activity which tends to elude my participation.
To be fair my mistakes were blindingly obvious to someone thinking at all - an activity which tends to elude my participation.

Original post by EnglishMuon
'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?

Ya got me, I cheated, set up windows chess on my laptop and put diddly's moves in then replaced that with my own on lichess. I concede

(Yes)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest