The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Got a proper chess board a few days ago. Good size, not one of those tiny £5 jobs. I am trying to get good OTB vision; I still keep missing when pieces are attacking other pieces and stuff lol.

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I think most remotely decent chess players were school champion at some point.
I was school champion when I was still just a beginner lol.

My school didn't even have a championship..
I pretty easily won the first few rounds in a tournament they put on when I'd recently started playing in Year 12, but then it just stopped half way through for some reason..
(never really tried anything in primary)
(edited 7 years ago)
I play Chess and Stratego online :colondollar:
I played a blitz game with a reasonable amount of moves but only 4 average centipawn loss and supposedly no inaccuracies...gotta love boring openings https://www.chess.com/live/game/1746948702
I think most remotely decent chess players were school champion at some point.
I was school champion when I was still just a beginner lol.

My dad was the champ until he left school. He still plays though, and he's improving, so it gets harder to beat him.
Chess today @CheeseIsVeg?
Original post by XOR_
Chess today @CheeseIsVeg?

:frown: I wanna play but college
@13 1 20 8 42

Well chess club was... interesting. I played a couple of games, won the first one although I made some fairly bad mistakes. Lost the second one playing a classical Sicilian where I thought, "Imma try to play like Fischer" so after Nc6 played Bb4, Bb3, O-O, Be3, f4. But then I got a little silly and played f5 too early. Position got pretty defensive for both sides with lots of straight-up waiting moves being played, then I blunder a pawn to some weird combination. Get some good counterplay in compensation and immediately blunder a fcking back rank mate outta nowhere.

Still, looking forward to playing in the tournament and joining a team. Will certainly be playing on chess.com far more frequently since I'm simply not nearly as good as I want to be right now. Though I just played a couple of good games and now 1700+ on the site, which is nice.
@13 1 20 8 42

Well chess club was... interesting. I played a couple of games, won the first one although I made some fairly bad mistakes. Lost the second one playing a classical Sicilian where I thought, "Imma try to play like Fischer" so after Nc6 played Bb4, Bb3, O-O, Be3, f4. But then I got a little silly and played f5 too early. Position got pretty defensive for both sides with lots of straight-up waiting moves being played, then I blunder a pawn to some weird combination. Get some good counterplay in compensation and immediately blunder a fcking back rank mate outta nowhere.

Still, looking forward to playing in the tournament and joining a team. Will certainly be playing on chess.com far more frequently since I'm simply not nearly as good as I want to be right now. Though I just played a couple of good games and now 1700+ on the site, which is nice.

Yeah I had a funny time. I played one guy and won two untimed games in reasonably convincing fashion with no time control, then we played blitz (5|0) and he won convincingly. The first two I thought I played quite well. Especially in the second I got a very quick monstrous attack as white in the QGD through some weird tactics surrounding the d5 pawn and ended up winning a few pawns then "saccing" a knight to win another, calculating a fairly short (idk maybe three or four moves) forcing variation which would win the knight back, and he threw in the towel (it was still slightly interesting as my king was uncastled and my queen was sort of doing all the heavy lifting by herself, supported only by the bishop). In both blitz games I hung a winning knight fork and was losing on time anyway. I hate OTB blitz lol. Played another guy who wasn't too experienced, but seemed to know some general principles, and had a couple of bizarre games, won them with mate on board. Second one was opened with d4 nf6 bf4 e6 and I completely misplayed it (as black) within a few moves but somehow escaped.

Funnily enough there are lots of similarities in my first game to the one you lost; it was also a Sicilian (Alapin, with Bb5+ and trading light square bishops), I won a pawn, he got a bit of counterplay, then I managed a back rank mate.

I was asked to play out of the blue by the exec today. I think it's D team, which on the one hand is a bit insulting considering apparently they sometimes get beginners playing on it, but on the other it's something and maybe I'll be bumped to C if my performances warrant it.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah I had a funny time. I played one guy and won two untimed games in reasonably convincing fashion with no time control, then we played blitz (5|0) and he won convincingly. The first two I thought I played quite well. Especially in the second I got a very quick monstrous attack as white in the QGD through some weird tactics surrounding the d5 pawn and ended up winning a few pawns then "saccing" a knight to win another, calculating a fairly short (idk maybe three or four moves) forcing variation which would win the knight back, and he threw in the towel (it was still slightly interesting as my king was uncastled and my queen was sort of doing all the heavy lifting by herself, supported only by the bishop). In both blitz games I hung a winning knight fork and was losing on time anyway. I hate OTB blitz lol. Played another guy who wasn't too experienced, but seemed to know some general principles, and had a couple of bizarre games, won them with mate on board. Second one was opened with d4 nf6 bf4 e6 and I completely misplayed it (as black) within a few moves but somehow escaped.

Funnily enough there are lots of similarities in my first game to the one you lost; it was also a Sicilian (Alapin, with Bb5+ and trading light square bishops), I won a pawn, he got a bit of counterplay, then I managed a back rank mate.

I was asked to play out of the blue by the exec today. I think it's D team, which on the one hand is a bit insulting considering apparently they sometimes get beginners playing on it, but on the other it's something and maybe I'll be bumped to C if my performances warrant it.

Ah nice, you seemed to get a lot of games in. I hate blitz in general lol, I don't have the required instincts which come from experience. It really is about how good your automatic chess is as well as sometimes your tactical radar. Very little strategic opportunities.

I'm probably gonna be playing on the D team but looking to go up from there. Bit disappointed though that I find it so much harder to play accurate OTB chess than online; I just don't see things as well so it'll take a lot of getting used to.
Also I need to get a rating. Lol. I've never had a rating. Is it easy to get one?
Just lost to a 900 on chess.com. Does anyone know why the hell players rated less than 1000 always play better than 1700s? This is ridiculous.
Just after I say that, an absurdly solid game from a 1500 which ended with me having to resign. If these guys play with master accuracy I don't see why they're not masters or at least close to it.
Original post by KingGoonIan
I play Chess and Stratego online :colondollar:

Was thinking of getting into this, one of my cool party tricks is having a good memory, like autism good, I should make use of it.
Just lost to a 900 on chess.com. Does anyone know why the hell players rated less than 1000 always play better than 1700s? This is ridiculous.

Sandbagging I guess.
Nice finish to this game. Fairly poor otherwise. When I played b4, c5 was the first move I had thought of but for some reason I thought it wouldn't achieve much; apparently b4 was an inaccuracy and c5 the best move lol. I had a beautiful resource of moving the "pinned" bishop out of the way but still covering f8 so that I could mate on the back rank should my queen be captured, but I saw it too late and couldn't make it work because of his queen position. https://www.chess.com/live/game/1758821022
Just after I say that, an absurdly solid game from a 1500 which ended with me having to resign. If these guys play with master accuracy I don't see why they're not masters or at least close to it.

It's because they use engines.
4 points in the tourney, which is good considering it's been about 8 years since I last played OTB games. Also I was expecting to flop every game considering the 10 minute time control (I find 30 mins too quick already lol) but for some strange reason I managed my time perfectly.

Except for one game. Crushed my opponent with a lovely Austrian Attack which I've never even played before, got to a position where there were probably 100 different ways to finish and for some strange reason felt that 1:30 left on the clocked called for an immediate decision, even though I could've mated in a few moves in most variations. Simply played one of the only bad moves on the board and got mated in two moves. Ridiculous.

Had I won that game I would've lost the next game anyway so doesn't really matter lol.
4 points in the tourney, which is good considering it's been about 8 years since I last played OTB games. Also I was expecting to flop every game considering the 10 minute time control (I find 30 mins too quick already lol) but for some strange reason I managed my time perfectly.

Except for one game. Crushed my opponent with a lovely Austrian Attack which I've never even played before, got to a position where there were probably 100 different ways to finish and for some strange reason felt that 1:30 left on the clocked called for an immediate decision, even though I could've mated in a few moves in most variations. Simply played one of the only bad moves on the board and got mated in two moves. Ridiculous.

Had I won that game I would've lost the next game anyway so doesn't really matter lol.

I got 4/6 too lol. Beat 3 execs but only one for the first time, so only one free drink..won one game with 3 secs remaining; at one point had like 20 ses to 70.
I got 4/6 too lol. Beat 3 execs but only one for the first time, so only one free drink..won one game with 3 secs remaining; at one point had like 20 ses to 70.

Lol I earned two drinks but didn't stay afterwards. Looking forward to playing in the D team and finally getting a rating. Do you know what time control the match on Tuesday is?
Lol I earned two drinks but didn't stay afterwards. Looking forward to playing in the D team and finally getting a rating. Do you know what time control the match on Tuesday is?

I swear I replied to this earlier. (I have had, I believe, seven pints, so my reliability is questionable). I think it was 1 hour 15 for the first thirty moves (or possibly forty) then 15 minutes for the remainder, possibly with increment. I am essentially sure that it starts with 1 hour 15, either for thirty moves or forty moves.
I swear I replied to this earlier. (I have had, I believe, seven pints, so my reliability is questionable). I think it was 1 hour 15 for the first thirty moves (or possibly forty) then 15 minutes for the remainder, possibly with increment. I am essentially sure that it starts with 1 hour 15, either for thirty moves or forty moves.

Oh wow that's great. Plenty of time to think and calculate deep lines and then realise you hung a piece straight after you made your move lol.

Quick Reply

Latest