Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Conditional offer for Warwick MSc...needing advice

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Dear TSR,

I applied really, really, really late in the admissions cycle(like, early to mid July) for the MSc economics programs in the UK. LSE and Oxbridge were already full or closed to new applicants, so I applied to other programs and was lucky enough to be accepted to Warwick.

However, the offer is a conditional one. The conditions aren't hard to meet; but they aren't giving me enough time to satisfy those conditions. The conditions are :

You must satisfy ALL of the following conditions by no later than 19 August 2016 in order to be permitted to commence this course.

1. Post an original (or an attested copy) of your degree certificate/transcript to the address in the email signature below confirming the award date and final degree classification of Bachelor Of Arts From University

2. Submit an English Language test certificate confirming a score of (or equivalent to) IELTS 6.5 with no component score below 6.0. Please see www.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/english/ for more information.

3. Arrange for a satisfactory professional reference to be submitted by your referee in support of your application.

So for #1, I have (1) asked the US Nat'l student clearinghouse to send Warwick an official final transcript, and also my university to send a notarized copy of the graduation certificate. The certificate is in latin.

For #2, this is the trickiest part. I don't have a certified language score. I will attempt the PTE on Wednesday(Tokyo time) and reports are said to be out as quickly as after one day or no later than five days after the exam, so I will be able to send the scores to Warwick by perhaps by 24nd at the latest, the earliest working day.

I have also signed up for the IELTS visa test and the TOEFL next weekend just in case, which has cost me a fortune but anyways.

For #3, I will go back to work tomorrow(today is a holiday) and ask my recommenders to copy and paste their recommendation to the link that I will ask Warwick to resend to the recommenders this evening(morning time in the UK).

My question is : Will Warwick give me any more time to satisfy #2(for the scores to be out) if I pleaded them to?

I don't see that you have an alternative to asking Warwick for an extenson on your language test, so do that urgently - now.

We don't know if they will grant it, but if you point out that their timescales mean there's no way you can meet the offer, then that's as solid an argument as you'll find.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.