The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ok, some answers:

1. If you want to qualify for your bounty you need to do a 2 week camp, several weekends and a number of drill nights per year. Weekends are usually from about 1800 / 1900 Friday to 1600ish Sunday (Thats roughly what they were at Oxford UOTC).

2. You get paid for all activities that you do with the UOTC.

3. I would recommend it because you get a good feel for what the Army is all about, some good social stuff and some good military and adventurous training. I would say though that if you wanted to focus more on the green side than all the social stuff and Adventure Training then join a local TA unit.
Reply 2
Hi there

I am also going to Uni in september and will be trying to join the UOTC ifI cannot get myself into a UAS.

You might want to give this a read if you haven't already, its pretty good.

http://www.army.mod.uk/uotc/index.htm

I'm pretty sure you do get paid for training, and they will also pay for travel.

To be honest, don't do it for the money, do it cause its awesome.

Anyway, give the website a read if you haven't already. :smile:
Reply 3
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Robinf20 replied whilst I was writing, beat me to it! ( He seems to know more about it than mesolisten to him! )
Reply 4
is the weekend training every other weekend? thats what i have heard!
do you get paid for the training in the week as well as the weekend?
im not doing it just for the money, it will just save me getting a job!
Reply 5
Every other weekend sounds like quite alot,

And yea tell me about it, it'l be my "job" as well!
Reply 6
You get paid for all military training you do.

A days pay in first year is about £35.00

It goes up in second year assuming you pass MTQ2 to about £40.00

You will be expected to attend for training one night a a week during term time from about 18.30 to 22.00 normally followed by the bar being open and a social night.

You get a quarter of a days pay plus travel expense for a week day nights training.

In first year you will attend the MTQ 1 training course , which is basicaly the same stuff a TA recruit does on their recruit training. Expect to do about 6 weekends from October to March- so its about 4 before Christmas and 2 after - allowing for university holidays and exams etc. Each OTC will be a bit different. The syllabus is the same but how they run it depends on what training areas etc they can book and what instructors they have available.

You will get paid two and half days pay for a normal weekend which will typically run from Friday at about 18.00 to Sunday afternoon at about 16.00.

All OTC s have had a budget cut this year. Whilst all sorts of adventure training used to be paid at the same rate as military training in many OTCs Adventure Training will not be paid for the time being. However the many activities you can do are still great fun and are massively cheaper than if you were paying to do them in a university club.

If you compare it with a UAS where students are limited to a total of 35 days pay per year it works out at least as good.

There was a OTC thread started on here a while back. Maybe one of the mods could combine this and make it a sticky
Reply 7
cheers armboy!!
this one lad told me that he went on a skiing trip with his UOTC, is this true? if so do you have to pay for it?
only found out about UOTC a couple of days ago and it has got me really interested in it!!
Reply 8
Different OTCs will do different sports and adventure training activities at a different times, depending on who is in the unit and who wants to organise things.

Most OTCs will have various forms of skiing trips on offer.

Depending on the OTCs budget - all of which (as with the rest of the TA) have been cut this financial year, you may or may not get paid for it. In many cases what you do is that in theory you get paid but the money from your pay is used to subsidise the trip, and so it ends up really cheap.

Your profile name suggests you are from Pompey. In which case your nearest OTC is Southampton- which recruits from Portsmouth Uni as well as those in Southampton. Southampton run a really active programme of offshore sailing. They won the Army sailing championships this year and are entering a team in the Fastnet race.

Be aware the ethos in the OTC is subtly changing. The budget has been cut this year (forcing units to concentrate on those who are committed) , and there is a lot more emphasis in most units on profesional military training and training people who are reasonably serious about looking at a career in the armed forces, rather than the old ethos of a military university club.

It is still very much good fun and there are some fantastic opportunities. For example the SUOTC Fastnet team will be doing the worlds most challenging yact race for free in a fifteen berth yacht from the Services Sailing Centre. To enter the race as a civvy expect to pay several thousand punds.

For a good idea of the sort of things that go on in OTCs, have a search on various units web sites. They all do roughly the same sort of stuff.

All OTCs recruit once a year only at the start of the Autumn term , so make sure you check when their recruiting events are being held and get along.

have fun
Reply 9
i wont be going to the southampton one i am going to lancaster so it will be the liverpool one!!
all in all it looks like fun, so i should enjoy it!
Reply 10
Whats the selection process like?
Reply 11
The selection process for OTCs is all fairly similar, and is basically a mini AOSB selection weekend.
There is plenty of stuff about it on the various unit web sites.
armyboy
The selection process for OTCs is all fairly similar, and is basically a mini AOSB selection weekend.
There is plenty of stuff about it on the various unit web sites.

Sorry to dig up a dead thread but there's bugger all on the UOTC on here and the net in general, and you seem to know your stuff

Do UOTC's have sport teams? I'm hoping to carry on playing rugby at uni, but I don't think I'll be able to play at uni if I'm also in the UOTC. I'm planing to join up so UOTC will take precedence, so if I could play for them that would be awsome.
TheKlassicsKid
I'm hoping to carry on playing rugby at uni, but I don't think I'll be able to play at uni if I'm also in the UOTC.

Why not? OTC doesn't take up every waking moment between lectures. If you can't manage to do both, you're taking one of them far too seriously.
Reply 14
TheKlassicsKid
Sorry to dig up a dead thread but there's bugger all on the UOTC on here and the net in general, and you seem to know your stuff

Do UOTC's have sport teams? I'm hoping to carry on playing rugby at uni, but I don't think I'll be able to play at uni if I'm also in the UOTC. I'm planing to join up so UOTC will take precedence, so if I could play for them that would be awsome.

Unless it's scheduled for the same time you'll have plenty of time for both at University :smile:
sypher1985
Unless it's scheduled for the same time you'll have plenty of time for both at University :smile:

Yea, that's the problem. For some reason everything in Leeds happens on a Thursday :/

Latest