The Student Room Group

Divorced Parents Question

Hello, I will be applying for university this year so will be receiving loans 2017/18. My Mum and Dad are divorced, I basically live with my Dad 100% of the time because my Mum lives with my Grandmother and I only ever have short visits there. I want to claim my finance on my Mum because my parents have agreed that, since my Dad has supported me up to 18, my Mum should support me through uni. The problem is my Mum lives 2 hours away from me so when filling out a finance form our addresses will be very noticeably different. It is also true my Mum earns less than my Dad and therefore I would be getting a bigger loan through her. Will this cause any problems with my application?
Original post by domaths
Hello, I will be applying for university this year so will be receiving loans 2017/18. My Mum and Dad are divorced, I basically live with my Dad 100% of the time because my Mum lives with my Grandmother and I only ever have short visits there. I want to claim my finance on my Mum because my parents have agreed that, since my Dad has supported me up to 18, my Mum should support me through uni. The problem is my Mum lives 2 hours away from me so when filling out a finance form our addresses will be very noticeably different. It is also true my Mum earns less than my Dad and therefore I would be getting a bigger loan through her. Will this cause any problems with my application?

Hi,

We would need the household income details from the parent that you live with.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Morven SFE
Hi,

We would need the household income details from the parent that you live with.

Thanks

I understand this but then how do you make the decision of which parent to base the loan on? In my case it will be unfair if it is based on my Dad since he is not the one who will be supporting me
Original post by domaths
I understand this but then how do you make the decision of which parent to base the loan on? In my case it will be unfair if it is based on my Dad since he is not the one who will be supporting me

Hi,

Will your dad be supporting you in any way, you mentioned that you live with him so he will be providing you a place to live, food ect. This would make you dependant on your Dad not your Mum. Will your Mum be giving you money on a regular basis?

Thanks
Reply 4
Hi,

Will your dad be supporting you in any way, you mentioned that you live with him so he will be providing you a place to live, food ect. This would make you dependant on your Dad not your Mum. Will your Mum be giving you money on a regular basis?

Thanks

For the moment he is but at uni we think it's more appropriate my mum helps out, does the loan have to be based on who I am dependent on now?
Original post by domaths
For the moment he is but at uni we think it's more appropriate my mum helps out, does the loan have to be based on who I am dependent on now?

Hi,

It's based on who will be supporting you the most throughout your course. But if you will be living with your dad, it would be his financial details we need.

Thanks
Reply 6
Hi,

It's based on who will be supporting you the most throughout your course. But if you will be living with your dad, it would be his financial details we need.

Thanks

Thank you,

I guess that's why I'm quite complicated since as soon as uni starts I'll be able to see both parents more equally since I won't have to be at my dad's to go to school which is the main reason I don't spend as much time at my mum's. So I'll be able to live with both of them then and I am planning then to live more with my mum
Hi,

If this is the case, we would need the financial details of the parent you are most dependent on, if you will be living with your Mum more than your Dad, then we could use her financial income details.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending