Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

ELQ Rules changing career for reasons of disability

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I want to study to become an Architect, but because I already hold a Masters Degree and PhD in other subjects I would be classed as an ELQ student, meaning that I would only be eligible for a maintenance loan, but not a tuition fee loan.

    The Student Awards Agency Scotland has a provision to provide full student finance for ELQ students who are changing careers due to illness, disability or injury. Here is a statement from one of their guidance documents:

    "If you are not able to continue with your course or you are already qualified with a profession and you are no longer able to continue working within this profession because of a disability, injury or illness, exceptionally we may be able to offer you support to start a new course that is more suitable to your current circumstances. If this applies to you, please give us details of your circumstances and support this with the relevant medical evidence."

    The reason I want to retrain in Architecture is because of a disability which is making it very hard for me to continue in my current profession.

    Do you know whether Student Finance England has a similar provision?

    Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2016
I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.