The Student Room Group

math question

Can someone please explain why the answer is E?
Original post by sammyj97
Can someone please explain why the answer is E?

What have YOU tried that makes you get something otherwise?
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
What have YOU tried that makes you get something otherwise?
Its a practice exam paper I got 95... The answer sheet says E but I dont understand the working and how to get to E
As a quick hint, how many 0.5m x 0.5m tiles fit in 1 m^2?

Then split the area to be tiled into rectangles and work out the area of each rectangle, in square metres. How many 0.5m x 0.5m tiles would fit into that area?

I have done it myself and can confirm that E is indeed the correct answer.

As an aside to more experienced members: is this too much of a hint?
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM

Then split the area to be tiled into rectangles and work out the area of each rectangle, in square metres. How many 0.5m x 0.5m tiles would fit into that area?

No its a perfect hint :smile:
As long as its guidance and not the whole solution it's good IMHO, unless they are close enough that you can put the answer
Original post by The-Spartan
No its a perfect hint :smile:
As long as its guidance and not the whole solution it's good IMHO, unless they are close enough that you can put the answer

Okay, that's good to know. Thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM

8 tiles in 1m^2 ... then split into 18 rectangles 6m by 2m = 12m each rectangle .... 12m/ 0.25 = 864 tiles??
Original post by sammyj97
8 tiles in 1m^2 ... then split into 18 rectangles 6m by 2m = 12m each rectangle .... 12m/ 0.25 = 864 tiles??

Are you sure that there are 8 tiles of dimension 0.5m x 0.5m in 1m^2? Each tile would be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25m^2, so how many would fit in 1m^2?

Also, I'm not sure where you got the 18 rectangles of 6m by 2m. You need to calculate the area around the blocks, ie you need to calculate the total area of the corridors and the patio. For example, the area of the long horizontal corridor across the top is 18m by 1m = 18m^2.
Then sum the areas of the corridors and the patio in m^2 and then multiply this value by the number of tiles per m^2.

EDIT: You don't actually need to split the corridors/patio etc into rectangles and add them to find their total area. The total area of the whole diagram is the area of the corridors/patio + the areas of the veg, pond, lawn and shrubs. So, can you find the area of the corridors/patio using the total area (18mx12m) and calculating the areas of the veg, pond, shrubs, etc...? (This method would just shorten calculations and reduce likelihood of numerical errors).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest