Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I apply to Oxford?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
  • View Poll Results: Should I apply to Oxford?
    Yes after taking a gap year

I am an international student currently doing IB abroad in a boarding school.
    I have always been fascinated by sciences and my sheer devotion to them will never diminish (no matter what)! Being inquisitive, science seemed always appealing to me.

Consequently, I have decided to study biology or biochemistry since I thought it will satisfy my interests. I am a hardworking student that likes nothing but science (literally...maybe this sounds cheesy........but I am serious) It is my passion, my dream my love!

I choose to pursue my dream in UK since I think the general undergraduate system suits me the most (facilities, tutoring etc.) By putting immense hard work in numerous competitions, projects and school work I came a wee bit closer to something that seemed unimaginable to me: studying at Oxford.

Here is the thing..During my IB DP1 I was consistently working and my results were promising, giving me the possibility to achieve a perfect score for my predicted grades. In my mock exams I screwed badly, when I say badly I mean very badly (not in biology and math tho ) because of my weakness in health that did not allow me to "shine".As a result of my bad mock results I think that I am going to just scrap the requirement for Biological sciences (39/42). My teachers and admission staff at my school are not being supportive at all. Since they want to put effort only in these top-notch students (42/42).

I firmly believe that I am one of these top-notch students that will achieve a good result in IB . I am almost certain that the reference letter won't be at the required level. I already finished my PS and the UCAS form is almost filled up. I have a strong past academic record and a bunch of super curricular activities.

Do I have chances to get in? Should I apply? Should I take a gap year? Or I should simply not apply?

Nice essay, apply and see what happens. As long as you have the minimum predicted grades then your performance in the admissions test and interview will be the ultimate arbiter of your success in gaining entry. Take a gap year if you want, it won't make much difference.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.