The Student Room Group

question about english A-level

What is the best subject/what does each course usually involve
-literature
-language
-Lang/lit
I did Eng Lit- I loooved it
Both are seen as facilitating subjects. Lit is more to do with books where are Lang is more the linguistic side of the English Language. Also where as Lit at a level is similar to GCSE Lit (but better obvs) Lang at A-level is realkly different and way more interesting apparently. So ye. If you like reading and writing- Lit is the way to go. Still have to write a lot in Lang tho so don't do either if you hate essays.
Reply 2
Original post by WannaBMedStudent
I did Eng Lit- I loooved it
Both are seen as facilitating subjects. Lit is more to do with books where are Lang is more the linguistic side of the English Language. Also where as Lit at a level is similar to GCSE Lit (but better obvs) Lang at A-level is realkly different and way more interesting apparently. So ye. If you like reading and writing- Lit is the way to go. Still have to write a lot in Lang tho so don't do either if you hate essays.

Do you get to do a lot of poetry during English lit A-level??
I did English language, enjoyed it somewhat at GCSE but was a lot better at A Level. I think it depends a lot on the teacher though because it can be taught badly through overuse of textbooks, definitely a big no when it comes to teaching English Language well.
Original post by Sophie mac
Do you get to do a lot of poetry during English lit A-level??

Yes- At least we did.
Reply 5
Original post by WannaBMedStudent
Yes- At least we did.

Perfect, its settled I'm doing English lit.. at my school we get to read the great Gatsby which is an added bonus in my eyes
Lang was way better at a level than GCSE. It much more interesting as you start to actually learn about the language. For example in he 12 we looked at language and gender and how it differs between the two etc. This year we learnt about language change and the evolution of language, and also the acquisition of language by children. I've heard the course is much easier than lit, I can say it's not that difficult and it's fairly easy to achieve high grades if you practice essay writing and follow the mark scheme.
Original post by Sophie mac
What is the best subject/what does each course usually involve
-literature
-language
-Lang/lit

Literature is the most respected out of that group. It is, to my knowledge, the only facilitating subject from that (according to various compiled lists).

Quick Reply

Latest