Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How much studying should you be doing outwith school time for your Highers?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by ___Sophie___)
    So school starts back tomorrow and this year I would like to make more effort. I'm not someone who needs to do an awful lot of studying, I basically studied the day before all my N5 exams and got 6 A's and 3 B's, which is pretty good considering how little I did but I was capable of 9 A's and this year I don't want to make the same mistake. So yeah how much studying should I be doing for my Highers outwith school time? Our prelims are in January so when should I start seriously studying for them? Any advice is appreciated.
    I did my highers in May (6As) and I think I started studying in October- that's generally when the first assessments were for most of my subjects. Most of my studying during term time was at the weekends as I have quite a few extracurricular commitments. I studied a lot in December/January, had a couple of weeks in February (post prelims) where I didn't study much and studied a reasonable amount in March and about 8 hours 5/6 days a week during study leave/Easter holidays. Some people might think this is a bit OTT and looking back, I probably didn't need to study as much or for as long as I did. But at the time I needed to as my biggest problem is thinking I don't know the content, so I probably over studied and felt that I reached my 'optimum' about a month too early. I'd suggest just doing your homework/revising when necessary for assessments and pacing yourself thereafter, doing as little/much as you need to do to feel content that you know what you need to know, because only you will know how much studying that will require. Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful

I did nothing whatsoever until the Christmas holidays where I did a bit of rewriting, but not much. Didn't do much for prelims (they don't really matter), then I only started properly revising late March/early April. I still got 5As at higher, I probably wouldn't suggest leaving it as late as I did (definitely not doing that this year). But the point is, if you start stressing too early, you could exhaust yourself for when the most important time comes. Do a bit here and there (maybe a couple hours on the weekends), but as long as you're understanding the course and doing homework, I wouldn't get too serious about it for at least a couple months. It's good to be refreshed for the few months before exams.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.