Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling my tutor and missing a presentation because of anxiety

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

School is starting in 2 weeks and as always, we start with a presentation (given by the coordinators) with our class. However, this year, the presentation will be given to the whole grade (a little over 100 students in my year). We also have to hand in a draft for an assignment. However, I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks and I find the first day back to school always very nerve-wrecking (as I guess most do), to the point where I get panic attacks. I used to always go to presentations, but lately attending presentations has been absolute horror, as being in a crowd and lots of noises are triggers for panic attacks for me. Because there will also be the added stress of the first day back to school, I am contemplating emailing my tutor (who will (also) be giving the presentation) about my struggles with anxiety and asking if there is a possibility for me to get the information another way and hand in the assignment digitally (or rather, see how I am doing that day and make a decision on whether or not I will go based on how anxious I am on the day itself) because I am so scared I am going to get a panic attack. If I were to do email her, I am also unsure if I should include the fact that I am struggling with depression. Although that has nothing to do with the presentation, last year it affected my academics a lot and I am afraid that it will do so next year too. I have been trying to find coping mechanisms to feel better and to manage doing the schoolwork, but the situation is still far from ideal and there are situations in which I am pretty much 'unable' to do the schoolwork, even if I want to because of dissociation etc.

Definitely talk to your teacher. They will be able to help and point you in the direction of help. Don't struggle alone. If this is affecting your work as well your school definitely needs to know.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.