Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best friend is judgemental towards my other friends. Should I confront her?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

So I have this group of friends from school. There are 9 of us and we're all pretty close, except for my best friend (let's call her X), who is close friends with me and one other member of the group but doesn't know the rest of them all that well.

Most of our group go on nights out together and some of them drink a lot. Clubbing isn't my thing so I rarely go out with them. X doesn't like clubbing either but, instead of just leaving them to it, repeatedly makes these disapproving comments whenever they're planning a night out and makes it pretty clear that she thinks she's better than them because she doesn't drink. When asked why she doesn't drink, she's even said that it's because she "has a moral compass". When we asked her why she thinks drinking is "immoral", she insisted that she was joking. She clearly isn't and keeps making these comments.

X often complains that the rest of the group don't include her in stuff (e.g. she doesn't get invited to parties when the rest of us do). I always try and include her but this isn't always possible (I can't just invite her to someone else's house, for instance.) I've asked the others why they don't seem to want to be friends with her and they have said that it's because they feel judged by her.

After A Level results, all 9 of us are going on holiday. After that I'm going abroad for a year, so it's the last time we'll all be together for a really long time. X has been making these comments for ages and I'm starting to get angry with her - it's rude to the others and it puts me in an awkward situation because I just want to get on with everyone. I want to tell her that if she wants to be friends with the rest of the group then she needs to stop acting so judgy, but I'd like to avoid starting a massive argument because I don't want to make the holiday awkward or have us part on bad terms.

So my question is: is it worth confronting X, or do I just leave her to her judgyness?

Thanks for reading all that. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S I'm aware that I've made my best friend sound like a total ****. She's not and I don't want to ruin our friendship over this, I'm just pretty frustrated with her right now.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.