Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do I have any chance of getting into law at Glasgow?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm going through a bit of a crisis trying to decide whether or not to apply to Glasgow to study Law (LLB). I'm currently about to start a gap year and already have a place for law at Strathclyde. I didn't apply to Glasgow in my original UCAS application (the LNAT really put me off, and I didn't meet the S5 requirements), but I've regretted it ever since.

In S4 I achieved 8 straight As, which I'll admit made me over-confident in S5. For my Highers I was completely gutted. I got AAACD in English, History, Computing Science, Biology and Maths respectively. I originally wasn't going to apply at all until after my S6 results but my school encouraged me and in the end I gave it a shot.

Last year I applied for 2017 entry to Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Stirling and Strathclyde. I received conditional offers (ranging from a B at any Higher to AA at Higher/A at Adv Higher) from 4 and was unsurprisingly rejected from Edinburgh. During this time I also applied to and secured a place on a Law school graduate programme, designed to give gap year students experience in a major law firm, so I'll be doing work experience over the course of the next academic year.

Last week I received my S6 results - AAAB for Adv History, H French, H Business and H Maths (resit) respectively.

I would really like to apply to Glasgow as I attended the open day last year and it's by far my first choice. I'm just worried that they'll flat out reject me. I'll also have to give up my place at Strathclyde (I'll reapply to them too but nothing's guaranteed).

I would just like to hear someone else's opinion/ what are my chances? *Be as harsh as you want*

Thanks for reading the spiel!

Hey, I can't really offer much advice because I'm 6th year right now. I was wondering what programme you signed up to for your gap year experience because I'm contemplating taking one (also applying to Glasgow Uni) but I don't want to waste a year if I can't do something useful with it.

I know an absolute doughball studying Law here. If you dont get in with your current grades and upcoming experience, I'd be hugely surprised.

In any case, the end result from either course will be the same and both Strathclyde and Glasgow are highly regarded. Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.