Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How many years can you get student finance?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I failed a module in my first year of uni and so had to resit the year, I have just finished the resit year and about to start second year but I want to do a year abroad next year, does anyone know if I'll be able to get student finance for this or not because I've already done an extra year? I'm not sure how many years you can get student finance for, I've seen some places say it's 5 years but others say it's the length of your course +1 so I'm really not sure.

Its course+1. I suppose it will be whether the year abroad will be counted as part of your course.
    If you had extenuating circs for resiiting that cuased the resit, then you could try and ask them to consider it was compelling personal reasons and should be disregarded for funding purposes.

It's course length + 1.

PhDs are post grad and can be funded elsewhere.
    Masters I think are included in the course length I'm fairly certain of this.
    As medicine has NHS funding after 4th year (so 5th year and beyond) so it would make sense that it's a MAXIMUM of 4 years, not including your sandwich or placement year which is usually considered paid employment really...

The +1 is for repeat years and in case you decide to change what degree you want to do, you cannot use it towards a phd. I'm not sure if you're allowed to put it towards a pgce.

So in essence 5 years at university (including sandwich) will see you pay nothing in fees.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.