The Student Room Group

Being an introvert on a university trip...

Hi! :smile:

I have asked this question in this forum before but I was hoping for some more advice. The advice I got was superb, but I just wanted to be reassured.

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other. I don't go on uni nights out and they always go out together, therefore they know each other really well. I don't drink much, if anything and they're planning on going out most nights. I want to go with them and have a good time, but I don't feel as though I'll fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to. Thank you!!
Original post by PinkOwls
Hi! :smile:

I have asked this question in this forum before but I was hoping for some more advice. The advice I got was superb, but I just wanted to be reassured.

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other. I don't go on uni nights out and they always go out together, therefore they know each other really well. I don't drink much, if anything and they're planning on going out most nights. I want to go with them and have a good time, but I don't feel as though I'll fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to. Thank you!!

In that situation the 'compromise' that I would make is to drink a bit and then head home, as someone who doesn't find nights out fun either. I've been on a few to see what it;s like (with a particular friendship group that enjoys this stuff), didn't like this but they appreciated that I tried (and still try to get me to go out :lol:) but if it's not you and it's out of your comfort zone then you're going to feel really awkward for many hours... and to me that is not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending