Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is a masters in Ecology impossible?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi y'all

So in high school I took a course in Ecology and I was hooked. Since then I've completed online courses in the subject and been on a few conservation trips as I find it so interesting. I would have loved to have studied it in uni, but it was too late in the year to consider changing around all of my subjects to fit a degree in science. I'm in my first year studying Theatre (BA) right now, which is really great, but it was one of the only degree I could be happy with doing given my high school course choices.

I am really interested in applying for a taught master's in Ecology. I know it will be difficult as I'm not doing a science degree. Does anyone know if my dedication and passion for pursueing the subject outside of my own degree might get me into the programme? Would there be anything else I can do to help my case? Also I'd like to know if this is way too farfetched in the first place lol.

I don't think it's impossible. I've just had a look at the entry requirements for a few MSc Ecology/related degrees, and most of them say something along the lines of if an applicant has a non-science background, then relevant work experience in conservation/related areas could also be considered. I'd suggest getting in touch with some of the unis offering the degrees you're interested in, explaining the situation and asking them whether they would accept you based on your online qualifications, enthusiasm and experience

You have to be realistic here.

A degree in theatre is taking you to a completely different world than ecology, but you say that from an earlier age you found it interesting and from this there is no reason why you couldn't get involved with local conservation efforts to take your mind off of your career in theatre in your leisure time.

Caring about the environment and social responsibility is a great thing but you have to recognise how and what you can do to help.

Look to Greenpeace, the WWF UK, RSPB, National Trust, and local to your home and to university for what you can do and it would look great on your CV.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.