Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Tuition Fee Loan for BSc while holding a CertHE

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi all,

I've posted this question not only for my benefit, but also that of others who are in a similar boat as there seems to be a lot of misleading information about people that did a CertHE funded in 1 year vs 2 years.

So last year I applied for a part time tuition fee loan for my first year in a BSc in Computing and IT with The Open University, after discovering I didn't enjoy some aspects of the course, the hours involved while also needing to work full-time to support my studies, I contacted SFE.

After speaking to 2 advisors, they came to the general consensus that if I triggered my level 4 exit qualification (Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT) which is awarded after successful completion of 120 credits in my first year, and I applied for a different course full-time (BSc in Computing Science) at year 1 entry, that I would still be eligible for all 3 years funding due to the gift year rule and the overall degree (level 6) is of a higher level than the level 4 CertHE I was awarded upon successful completion of 1 year with The Open University.

Now scouring the internet there seems to be contrasting information in this regard, as people that completed a CertHE in 2 years aren't eligible for first years funding, while people that completed in 1 year are.

I just wanted confirmation if this is the case, as I have acted on advice from two of your advisors leaving my job and withdrawing from my second year enrollment with The Open University, I'm currently awaiting a reply from one of your assessors and I'm slightly worried my applications taking so long compared to my younger brothers application.

Hi,We do take into consideration any previous study you may have done in addition to any qualification which you have previously received. The amount of support available does therefore depend on your own circumstances and your application is assessed based on these determining factors. As you have received an exit qualification from part time study and have now changed to full time, we will apply a previous study calculation to determine your remaining entitlement to support for future study. The best advice is to call us on 0300 100 0607 and discuss your application directly with one of our customer advisors.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.