Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What A-Levels to choose?? (yep another one... sorry)

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hey all,

I'm pretty new here so this could easily be in the wrong place but here goes....

I have to choose my A-levels in a week or two and I still haven't decided on what i will pick. My plan for careers is to go to university and hopefully do a Masters Degree in Engineering. So obviously two of my choices are Maths and Physics as they are required for any degree in this field. Another of my choices will likely be Further Maths as I will (Hopefully) get the grades to do this (I also took additional maths at GCSE) and I have a real passion for it. My main dilemma is as to whether I pick Chemistry to go along side them or whether I choose a Technical Degree in Engineering thing...(Its done along side A levels and is equivalent to an A level, but is predominantly coursework). I understand that most Universities focus on 3 A levels only but I'm sure they will look at the other one as well....
    I think that i would enjoy both courses (maybe engineering more since it's more practical) but I think that Chemistry may be better for me.

I would greatly appreciate any advice people had to offer (especially if you're studying either Chemistry or the Engineering thing....

Thanks in Advance,

It's usually better to stick to A-Levels because some of the higher ranking unis don't accept BTEC-style courses

I don't study any STEM subjects so I don't know how useful I'll be but if you have your heart completely 100% set on engineering and you think you'll enjoy the engineering one more, go for it! You'll need something quite practical to balance out the other subjects whilst studying them (well I would anyway). But if you're still dubious Chemistry might be better as it's more generic and if your change your mind, you'll still have more options than a specific course in engineering.

But then again, I'm no expert but just looking on applying to uni and all that, that's what I would suggest
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.