Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

My short journey with A-levels.

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hi everyone,

My name is Leopatto (duh) and I was in your position 2 years ago anxiously waiting for my AS-level results which made me unable to sleep and think about what am I going to do with my life if I fail or not get the required grades to get into my dream uni. Bear in mind that I only did AS-levels.

For my subjects I did Business, History, Sociology and Law because I really really wanted to do business/finances at uni, and whilst I was in college I was only interested in partying, hanging out with new people and just having the best time of my life whilst I was there. Turns out, that it was a bad idea and my attendance at the end of the academic year was something like...60% which is pretty bad. Nevertheless, this + bunking lessons, and me just not giving a **** about anything made my exams look pathetically bad - I knew as soon as I left the exam hall that I failed, and I think that was a wake-up call for me.

Fast-forward to August, I go into my college really late in the afternoon because I knew that nobody else would be there so I missed sharing the results, plus also I didn't have to see the happiness (or tears) of others, whereas I would just collect my envelope sit underneath the tree peek at the results, and then contemplate what should I do with my life. Oh yeah I got UUEE for my results.

In the stroke of brilliance and my own genius, I decided it would be a brilliant idea to join the army because I thought that's the only thing left for idiots such as me. Nevertheless, before I put the ink on the paper signing 4 years of my life away I decided that at least I should get some qualifications so when I leave the armed forces at least I would have something underneath my belt.

So I did Public Services worth 3 A-levels. Worthless now that I think about it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, to wrap it up I didn't want to repeat my mistakes again so I studied (pfft, more like copied but whatever) made sure my attendance at the end of the year 1 and 2 was solid 68% (yeah I skipped, because it was so boring) and I got D*D*D which is equivalent to A*A*A + plus I did other A-level on the side but I won't share it as it might..."expose" my identity. I also got into one of the top unis when it comes to business degrees in the UK with BTEC - ikr, BTEC is only for dumb people yada yada you can only get to Hull uni etc.

Point is - some of you will fail, some of you will succeed and for those that didn't get the grades they wanted as Tupac once said - Keep Ya Head Up.

It's not the end of the world and if you're really struggling with exams and the pressure at the end of the year just do BTEC subject you're interested in - you'll have teachers breathing down your neck the whole year instead but it might just be the right thing for you. Most unis don't discriminate against BTEC students like they did previously.

Off to bed now, good luck tomorrow

/end of pep talk

E: not sure if this is the correct subforum to post to, so y'know... don't crucify me.
    E2: AMA if you want to...

Thanks if I fail I'll join the army 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.