The Student Room Group

Redo year or new Uni?

Basically i have just finished my first year at Uni, because i didnt do so well in my A levels last year i was trying to redo some a levels at the same time (work and exams) but i kind of bit of more than i can chew and i didnt do so well in either. I either have the choice now of redoing my first year at the uni im currently at (which i didnt want to go to initially due to poor a level grades).

Or choosing a Uni in clearing...right now the only one i can see so far which is applicable to me is the Uni of Bedfordshire...which includes a foundation year. Im not sure if i could even do this as i have already spent one year at uni.

Or should i just redo the year and try to transfer to a better uni for my second year? im not sure how transferring works or if i would get into a good uni after transferring...would my a levels still matter in transferring?

Sorry if this is all over the place...thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cygne
Basically i have just finished my first year at Uni, because i didnt do so well in my A levels last year i was trying to redo some a levels at the same time (work and exams) but i kind of bit of more than i can chew and i didnt do so well in either. I either have the choice now of redoing my first year at the uni im currently at (which i didnt want to go to initially due to poor a level grades).

Or choosing a Uni in clearing...right now the only one i can see so far which is applicable to me is the Uni of Bedfordshire...which includes a foundation year. Im not sure if i could even do this as i have already spent one year at uni.

Or should i just redo the year and try to transfer to a better uni for my second year? im not sure how transferring works or if i would get into a good uni after transferring...would my a levels still matter in transferring?

Sorry if this is all over the place...thanks.

This should be in the Uni section. This is A-levels and it will be clogged up with A-level Results queries!

This is quite a complicated issue here.

What degree are you doing? As BA have 4 years of funding and BSc have 5 years. So you could either do both. But I wouldn't pick Bedforshire just because it's the only option really. You need to look into other universities to see if the course you want to do is offered in their clearing lists.

I wouldn't recommend you do a foundation year as you've already did A-levels and 1st year and I assume you ONLY failed 1st year BECAUSE you did tried to do A-levels at the same time which really wasn't a good idea to begin with.

If you found your first uni a horrible experience; with learning, staff, teaching, accommodation and etc then I would try and swap unis through clearing. If you generally enjoyed your 1st year experience, you should resit and do your best and not even think about A-levels. I mean, you got into uni so why would you even consider doing A-levels in the first place? You should forget about your A-levels.

Transferring works by other unis looking at your 1st year modules AND your percentage marks. Your A-levels won't be relevant. Unless it says you need a Maths at A-level (but if you did a Maths module in your 1st year, you might be OK [if that makes sense?]) So you need to be selective if you wish to transfer in a year's time. And since you will be applying in November-Jan when UCAS' next cycle begins, they will only look at your first semester grades which puts a lot of pressure on you to make sure you're hitting the 2:1 threshold as most unis want to know you're capable of passing 1st year.

You also need to take into account that some unis will be raising their tuition fees for the next academic year (2017-onwards). So you need to question whether paying higher is worth it and does it include any students who arrives at that uni in 2017 (regardless of that year).
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
This should be in the Uni section. This is A-levels and it will be clogged up with A-level Results queries!

This is quite a complicated issue here.

What degree are you doing? As BA have 4 years of funding and BSc have 5 years. So you could either do both. But I wouldn't pick Bedforshire just because it's the only option really. You need to look into other universities to see if the course you want to do is offered in their clearing lists.

I wouldn't recommend you do a foundation year as you've already did A-levels and 1st year and I assume you ONLY failed 1st year BECAUSE you did tried to do A-levels at the same time which really wasn't a good idea to begin with.

If you found your first uni a horrible experience; with learning, staff, teaching, accommodation and etc then I would try and swap unis through clearing. If you generally enjoyed your 1st year experience, you should resit and do your best and not even think about A-levels. I mean, you got into uni so why would you even consider doing A-levels in the first place? You should forget about your A-levels.

Transferring works by other unis looking at your 1st year modules AND your percentage marks. Your A-levels won't be relevant. Unless it says you need a Maths at A-level (but if you did a Maths module in your 1st year, you might be OK [if that makes sense?]) So you need to be selective if you wish to transfer in a year's time. And since you will be applying in November-Jan when UCAS' next cycle begins, they will only look at your first semester grades which puts a lot of pressure on you to make sure you're hitting the 2:1 threshold as most unis want to know you're capable of passing 1st year.

You also need to take into account that some unis will be raising their tuition fees for the next academic year (2017-onwards). So you need to question whether paying higher is worth it and does it include any students who arrives at that uni in 2017 (regardless of that year).

English Literature Hons
My a level results weren't so good, which i why i tried to redo at the same time as my first degree year. I was allowed into my current Uni anyway last year.
Um im not really sure i understand what you said about maths, but i got a D at GCSE maths so i know i need to redo that, do you think that will matter if i try to transfer Unis in Nov/jan? Do you transfer unis through UCAS?
If i try to transfer in Nov/Jan does that mean i would already have to have made my mind up about which i Uni i want to transfer too by that time?.
Original post by cygne
English Literature Hons
My a level results weren't so good, which i why i tried to redo at the same time as my first degree year. I was allowed into my current Uni anyway last year.
Um im not really sure i understand what you said about maths, but i got a D at GCSE maths so i know i need to redo that, do you think that will matter if i try to transfer Unis in Nov/jan? Do you transfer unis through UCAS?
If i try to transfer in Nov/Jan does that mean i would already have to have made my mind up about which i Uni i want to transfer too by that time?.

Oh I study English Lit (and Philosophy) too!

I'm saying some unis don't look at A-levels when transferring, they look at your 1st year modules. For example, you might still be accepted onto 2nd year if you did some compulsory or essential 1st year at your current uni So for example, some English degrees might say you need to start their degree from 1st year as you didn't do a Prose or Shakespeare module in your previous uni. And in order to get onto that uni's second year, you needed to do those pre-requisites in order to advance. Does that make more sense?

I got an F in GCSE Maths and I transferred unis for the 2015 cycle and I never needed to. I say you should try and redo it as much as possible, especially as you're only one grade away for a C. But this shouldn't have any influence over your transfer. Some unis do wants a C or grade 3 (as that's the new GCSEs grading system now) like Keele asks for Grade 3 or grade C in GCSE English and Maths or a Science for English. But I say try and get your GCSE just because of future job prospects or at least a Numeracy equivalency qualification.

It will be the same as applying to uni your first time. You can either pick 2 or 5. You would need to apply either by Jan 15 just so you're in good stead. You can apply after that, but you should try and look around other unis just so you get a feel for it, ask module or programme leaders about their 2nd year and so forth. Some unis allows transferring students to take a day or two off from timetable to check unis out (but check with your uni if they're anal about punctuality).
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Oh I study English Lit (and Philosophy) too!

I'm saying some unis don't look at A-levels when transferring, they look at your 1st year modules. For example, you might still be accepted onto 2nd year if you did some compulsory or essential 1st year at your current uni So for example, some English degrees might say you need to start their degree from 1st year as you didn't do a Prose or Shakespeare module in your previous uni. And in order to get onto that uni's second year, you needed to do those pre-requisites in order to advance. Does that make more sense?

I got an F in GCSE Maths and I transferred unis for the 2015 cycle and I never needed to. I say you should try and redo it as much as possible, especially as you're only one grade away for a C. But this shouldn't have any influence over your transfer. Some unis do wants a C or grade 3 (as that's the new GCSEs grading system now) like Keele asks for Grade 3 or grade C in GCSE English and Maths or a Science for English. But I say try and get your GCSE just because of future job prospects or at least a Numeracy equivalency qualification.

It will be the same as applying to uni your first time. You can either pick 2 or 5. You would need to apply either by Jan 15 just so you're in good stead. You can apply after that, but you should try and look around other unis just so you get a feel for it, ask module or programme leaders about their 2nd year and so forth. Some unis allows transferring students to take a day or two off from timetable to check unis out (but check with your uni if they're anal about punctuality).

''I'm saying some unis don't look at A-levels when transferring, they look at your 1st year modules. For example, you might still be accepted onto 2nd year if you did some compulsory or essential 1st year at your current uni''
Do you mean if i wanted to be accepted by my current uni for second year this September? They did (im not sure why) technically accept me despite my failure,but i know a terrible first year will impact my Uni degree which i why i wanted to redo the year.

''some English degrees might say you need to start their degree from 1st year as you didn't do a Prose or Shakespeare module in your previous uni. And in order to get onto that uni's second year, you needed to do those pre-requisites in order to advance. Does that make more sense?''
If that were the case how would i know in advance? If i apply in Nov/jan to transfer to these Unis i will only have a few months before i start, when would i do these pre requisites?
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question , but could i technically try to transfer to any uni? I mean if the transferring is only based on Semester credits i could try to transfer to a good uni with a good rep couldn't i? It wouldnt have to be a uni of the same stead that im currently at?

Quick Reply

Latest