Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Congratulations to everyone coming to Brookes!

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello everyone! Anyone studying Biomedical Sciences? Or at Westminster Hall? Can't wait to start in September!

(Original post by Maim56)
    Oxford Brookes was my insurance uni and on the letter in track I have been told that I will be supplied with more information soon. Do you by any chance know when that is? Also, when is freshers week?(my course starts at the 18th of September if that helps)
    (Original post by copella)
    Hi same question. My son had OBU as his insurance but not heard any more since accepting. What happens re accommodation, etc? Thanks for your help
    Hi both,

Thanks for your questions.

Firstly, arrivals weekend is Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 September - this is the weekend when we'd expect everyone to arrive ready for induction and enrolment week (also known as Freshers!) You can find more information about arriving at Brookes on our New Student pages.

Are you looking to live in student halls? Or are you wanting to rent in the city? If you wish to apply for student halls but haven't received an email with a link to apply then contact our accommodation team [email protected] (sometimes they get caught in spam filters). There's no guarantee you'll get a room as it depends on how many people apply but it's definitely worth applying if you're interested.

In terms of enrolment - you / your son will get an email 3 weeks before arrival weekend (ie the end of the month) with your username/password so you can enroll online.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you've got any more questions about starting at Brookes.

(Original post by ElizaCupcake)
    Hey, i was wandering if anyone could answer me this question.

Oxford Brookes was my firm choice and i wanted to do English literature, however they couldn't accept me on that course with the grades i got so my application was unsuccessful. I called and begged for a place and they gave me a place on the English language course instead.

however now that I've had a look at the English language course module i can clearly see that this is not the course for me. is it possible to change the course i'm doing once i've gotten into the uni and prove that i can keep up with the other English lit students despite my grades
    Hi ElizaCupcake

Thanks for asking. Sounds like you've already had a think about this. Really, the most important thing is that you end up doing a course that you are happy with. As you say, our English Language course is quite different from English Lit so honestly you've got to do what feels right for you.

In terms of switching course - I'm not sure if this is really possible because there are compulsory modules you'd need to do for English Lit. When you spoke to our admissions team, did you ask about combined honours options for English Language and Literature? If that option is available to you with your grades then would you be interested? You'd need to phone our admissions team again to ask.

Have you looked at what other universities have places in clearing for English Lit? If you see a course that looks like it's more your thing then give them a ring.

Take your time to think about your options and, honestly, don't do a course unless you can see yourself enjoying it for 3 years. The most important thing is that you feel happy with your choice.

I really hope you can find a place on a course that's right for you.

(Original post by Megan Mower)
    Hi everyone! Anyone doing Sociology?? Or in Warneford Hall??
    Hey, Doing Sociology and find out my accommodation tomorrow

Why did you guys reject my application? =(

Am about to start my third year at uni reading Biomedical Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.