The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Desert Eagle
I just suddenly started thinking about this. Does the earths weight change? And if so, would it be increasing or decreasing?

ummm, by weight do you mean mass or actual weight (ie gravitational force). "Weight" has little concept for the earth, since it is usually defined as the downward force towards the earth that an object has as a result of it's mass. However, if you were to define it as the equivalent, the force towards the sun, then yes it would change slightly due to the elliptical orbit. However it would be periodic.

If you meant mass, then no. It's a closed gravitationally bound system, more or less, so apart from the odd meteorite that happens to hit the earth, or anything we launch into space, it stays pretty much the same.
What does "weight" mean here? It normally means the force acting on one object due to the earth. :s-smilie:

Edit: oops, beaten. :p:
Reply 3
ye sorry, i meant mass. Doesnt more people being born affect the mass of the earth? Or is that just a really silly thought.
Desert Eagle
ye sorry, i meant mass. Doesnt more people being born affect the mass of the earth? Or is that just a really silly thought.

Yeah, I think that's a really silly thought... it probably all leads back to food. I'm no biologist, but I know babies don't just grow from nothing. :wink:
Reply 5
lol ok, cheers for the response. This place is great, i can ask stupid questions and not feel embarrassed after :biggrin:
Reply 6
at the risk of talking a load of cobblers...

i reckon we might be losing a bit of atmosphere. Some of it (the odd molecule) may have enough energy to escape the earth's field and maybe some of it gets blasted away by the solar wind, just like a comet.

what do you think?
Reply 7
I read in a crazy facts book that the Earth is getting heavier because it's collecting more and more dust :smile:
pikaboo
I read in a crazy facts book that the Earth is getting heavier because it's collecting more and more dust :smile:

...space dust? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
house dust more like.... come to think of it, how is dust created? lol
Desert Eagle
house dust more like.... come to think of it, how is dust created? lol

much of it is dead skin.

original question: I would have thought the Earth would be losing mass, albeit slowly, due to evaporation.
Dirac Delta Function
much of it is dead skin.

original question: I would have thought the Earth would be losing mass, albeit slowly, due to evaporation.

Well, it all depends on what you are defining to be the "Earth". Normally, given the dynamic relationship between land, ocean and atmosphere, one would class the atmosphere as part of the Earth. If this is the case, then the atmosphere being gravitationally bound, would still retain matter within it. If it was not gravitationally bound we probably wouldn't have much of an atmosphere left by now, although there may be some continued escape of very light gases.

As for the issue of more people - they don't appear from nowhere. They are created from the molecules already present on Earth. They do not spontaneously appear. However, I consider these people to contribute to the mass of the Earth too. On the scale of the Earth's mass they are insignificant anyway.
Reply 12
except for americains?
Reply 13
The earth will potentially lose mass from loss of the atmosphere to space - this is accelerated at times of magnetic field instability, as as mentioned, part of it is torn from the earth by the solar wind (an example of this can be seen on mars, whose atmosphere has been almost completely purged following its loss of magnetic field due to a small core and rapid cooling).

Also - as has been mentioned - people eat stuff - don't all be so ridiculously vacuous!
bikerx23

Also - as has been mentioned - people eat stuff - don't all be so ridiculously vacuous!

what goes in must come out... :p:
Reply 15
F1 fanatic
what goes in must come out... :p:

In the form of ridiculous comments?
Reply 16
If you believe that the destiny of mankind is to escape the earth and populate other systems in the galaxy, like what happened on battlestar galactica, then I calculate a 0.023% reduction in the mass of the Earth. So there.
Drummy
If you believe that the destiny of mankind is to escape the earth and populate other systems in the galaxy, like what happened on battlestar galactica, then I calculate a 0.023% reduction in the mass of the Earth. So there.

like I said... insignificant. :p:
Reply 18
Drummy

You do realise you're in a science forum, yea? Those concepts are what would be perceived as eventually inevitable (well, withink 5 billion years), but it would be ridiculously unlikely for humans to hang around long enough for it to be an issue!
What about the energy the Earth receives from the Sun? Doesn't energy have mass according to a certain famous equation? As a practical example, when plants convert sunlight into nutrients, isn't this a net increase in the mass of the Earth? Or is it all eventually radiated back out to space?

Latest